• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Stereo Aikido GND help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I am tring to wrap my head around how best to ground my Aikido pre project to prevent any hum/noise. I am using the large stereo board. This is what I have been thinking but please let me know if I have no clue:whazzat:

The board has a GND that goes through a standoff. SHould I connect all input and out put gnds to this point?

I am using a Janus regulator whuch also has this type of gnd. What should I do with this?

I guess how the poersupply gnds and signal gnds relate is my issue...

Thanks for all the help
Kris

Kris,

every amplifier only has one ground point (at least this is commonly said) --> have a look for star grounding (excellent article by Aikenamps somewhere on the 'net.

You can ground your amplifier through the standoff (metal of course ;) ) and connect all other grounds to this point... or gather all psu grounds at one point and all signal grounds at one point that lead to ONE main grounding point that is connected to earth.

best

So that would be something like this all attached to chassis?

signal gnd point and power gnd point

both going to safety earth

You know I found those articles and they seem clear but I am still not 100% how signal and power connect.
So say I use the standoff gnd for the PS and main board. I would lead a wire from both of those to the earth gnd lug?

Thanks for the help
Kris

Hi Kris,

I'm at the same stage and knowledge level with my 5687 kit. Almost ready to start assembling.

I was planning to take this ground point and make a ground bus with a thick copper tube in the chassis as my chassis will be made of wood.

My old apartment does not have good grounding points so I have to rely on the copper tube inside the chassis.

You know I found those articles and they seem clear but I am still not 100% how signal and power connect. So say I use the standoff gnd for the PS and main board. I would lead a wire from both of those to the earth gnd lug?

Either use a plastic standoff (aluminum base plate?) and run a wire from the Gnd point to earth....
or use a metal standoff, use the base plate as ground plane and connect the base plate to earth. Doing both (metal standoff connected to chassis and a wire) would form a ground loop.

Brit,
Olle is from the "other" thread....LOL, I though it was funny you posted here too.
50K for the "pot" might not be enough, it depends on the impedence and the MU of your set of tubes. In my case, (4) 6SN7 into a SS Conrad Johnson 250W Amp I'm using an attenuator from Dantimax with 100K Ohms. I have read some different threads on which is the recommended "pot" value and some that have tried the 50K said at the highest attenuation they could still hear music. Therefore I chose the 100K value.
I don't have enough experience to offer any advice, just stating what I did and what I read here on DiyAudio.com.
Find out what your MU is and do some more reading and (re)-searching the values others have used for the Aikido.
Let us know what you used.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Didn't even realise I was in the wrong thread.

Trying to do too many things at the same time.

Crazy busy with a web applications project right now and an exam in 2 days. Got a zillion sessions open on my laptop which is smoking when trying to compile my code!!

I'm leaving the city this week so would like all the parts ready to assemble while I'm away for 2 weeks (somewhere where there are no electronic shops!0.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.