• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Optimal operating point for 7N7/6SN7?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi pftrvlr,

never mind - using 6SN7 and brothers at Ia=5mA you definitely can get an extremely linear swing using an RL of at least 27k and a reasonable supply voltage.

More information on maximum expected input swing, needed stage amplification factor and maximum available supply voltage certainly would help to give specific operating point suggestions.

Regards,

Tom Schlangen

I re-cal the operating points in the p-spice, and here is what I got

Plate 160v
Cathode 5.5V
Current 3.0mA
Plate reisistor 51K

I need to keep the plate voltage at around 160v, because it direct couple to the next WCF stage.

Will it be better off to reduce the plate resistor and increase the plate current to 5ma? The gain is not important.

Thx.

pftrvlr said:
Will it be better off to reduce the plate resistor and increase the plate current to 5ma? The gain is not important.

Three mA current is plenty, as long as your next stage doesn't load the output too much. I'd stick with the larger plate resistor. Or try both and see what sounds best to you. Easy enough to clip in parallel plate and cathode resistors.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.