• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

One more PSU2 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PSU2 is a fine tool but I think I'm banging on the wrong end.

Most power transformers are rated for potential and current, ie 300-0-300 ct and 100ma. Yet the PSU2 transformer box wants voltage and impedance. I'm using ohms law to calculate impedance: 300v/.1amp = 3000ohms. I gather this is not the way however because the circuits I draw do not produce the rated current and potential at the transformer. More like 30ma @ 200v.

Please clue me in.

Thanks

Though I can't explain in real scientific terms I can tell you are mixing things up.

Curent draw is dictated by your schematic and is set in PSUD2 with I1.

The transformer box wants the resistance of the secondary winding... I do wonder where you found impedance? You can either take the resistance out of the manufacturer data, or guess it, or have PSUD calculate it (example in the attached image).

That should lead to more realistic results (since PSUD2 is a great tool).

best

Attachments

• psud.jpg
    psud.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 129
Thanks for the help, I get it now.

I just opened up an old tube powered Simpson signal generator I had sitting on the bench and measured transformer and inductor resistance and modeled that circuit and it all jives with reality.

I wonder if this could be used as a tool for estimating current ratings on those old junk bin transformers and inductors?

As for new part builds, I just need to dig a little deeper to find the resistance from the manufacturers specs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.