• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Please add to my confusion re stepup transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys
I just bought an ortofon Rondo red.
Internal Impedance = 6 Ohms
recommended load impedance 10 - 200 Ohm.
Output Voltage 500 Micro Volts
I must admit to feeling a bit of a bonehead trying to wrap said head around which transformers to get (some say sowter 8055 then others say a different sowter 9750 low z etc)
Can anyone shed light on which sut they have used and also what else needs to be used... for instance a zobel network needs to be wired in on a sowter 8055.
I just have trouble understanding the ratios and which tranny i need etc etc
My phono stage is a c3g/6sl7 one with a 47k resistor across the input. I am willing to change that if needed (the resistor that is)
Thanks
Nick

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The 8055 will work just fine with a 6R cartridge. Have a look at the Sowter site and it will tell you which Zobel network to use to optimise the transformer for that cartridge. The 1:10 step-up ratio will give you 5mV - a healthy signal. Almost all transformers need a Zobel network, it's just that they don't always know it. And yes, I use 8055.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.