Filament Xformer woes... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2008, 12:23 PM   #1
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Filament Xformer woes...

I bought this Xformer http://edcorusa.com/products/transfo...12_6v3a-1.html and hooked it up to the Aikido I am putting together. I am using 2 5687 tubes(12.6v) and 2 6CG7 tubes(6.3V). I am using jumper J2 only to wire the 6CG7 tubes in series.

Plugged it in last night and nothing...no glow at all. Put the DMM on it and I am getting 6.6V across the "hot" terminals and 3.1V from the CT to either of the "hot" terminals.

I am thinking that I got a bum or mis-labeled xformer no? The label says 7~9=12.6V 8CT.

I just wanted to confirm my suspicions before calling them.

I also reconfigured my phono board to parallel wiring and temporarily hooked it up to that. The filaments glowed as they should.
Old 10th December 2008, 03:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well,

I just got off the phone with the tech who actually wound my xformer. After some readings and discussion she came to the conslusion that she must have put the wrong bobbin in my unit.

They are sending me the correct unit - now thats customer service...Of course it will probably take another 3 weeks....

Oh well, I guess I have a spare 6.6V xformer for future use - she told me just to hang on to it...
Old 10th December 2008, 04:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you do not want to wait three weeks you can also set all your valves to run from 6.3V. Shouldn't be hard...and you can listen to your carols with your new Aikido

Erik
Old 10th December 2008, 04:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ErikdeBest
If you do not want to wait three weeks you can also set all your valves to run from 6.3V. Shouldn't be hard...and you can listen to your carols with your new Aikido

Erik

The 5687's run on 12V for the 5687 Aikido board. Not sure if there is a way to step them down...I will have to take a closer look at the board...
Old 10th December 2008, 05:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Now I can understand that information on J2...

Another thing... maybe you have this sorted out, but just in case: the 5687 and the 6CG7 have different pinouts: Broskie has a special PCB for the 5687, maybe you got that one...if so, can it take the 6CG7?
Old 10th December 2008, 06:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have the unique 5687 board...This basically forces you to have a 12V power supply for V1 and V4 the way it is traced. V2 and V3 have many different options you can use and they can be either a 6V or 12V heated tube - you just use the jumpers to run V2 and V3 either in series or parallel to get the voltage you need.

I may just pick up a cheapo 12V radio shack xformer just to keep the project moving undil I get the Edcor unit. At this point I may as well use the 6V one they sent to run the heaters for the phono stage. With the 6CG7's, 5687's, and 6DJ8's using a 12V supply would run at 2.8 amps. If I use a dedicated one for the phono stage I could try different tubes like 6N1P's or something and still have pleanty of juice left over. There should be plenty of room in the chassis...

Hide this!Advertise here!