• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Use of 1:1 Input Transformers in Linestages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In schematics I have often seen 1:1 input transformers employed on the inputs of linestages to provide a degree of galvanic isolation. The use of this topology is generally recommended by its proponents on sonic grounds, and several reasons have been proposed for its employment, including:

• ground loop hum rejection
• the isolation conferred on a multi-source system with multiple grounds
• common mode rejection in a noisy electromagnetic environment
• the inherent bandwidth limiting associated with transformer coupling

My question is: if you don’t have ground loop issues, employ a multi-source system, live in a noisy electromagnetic environment or require bandwidth limiting are there any sonic advantages conferred by this topology ?

My gut feeling has always been that adding extra devices to the signal chain can only detract from the overall sound, and that there would have to be a considerable influence from one or more of the factors listed above to justify their use. Opinions please

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Bzzz

One of the worst offenders for mains noise near audio equipment is ... ... audio equipment. It's all those capacitor input power supplies and saturating mains transformers. And you'd be amazed how difficult it is to get an active crossover system free of buzz. Input transformers can really help.

And here's the current waveform for a 9W compact fluorescent lamp...

Attachments

• 11wleb05.png
    11wleb05.png
    8 KB · Views: 317
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.