Upgrading output transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2008, 03:58 PM   #1
tigro is offline tigro  Romania
diyAudio Member

Default Upgrading output transformers

I have Antique Sound Lab AQ1008DT monoblocks and thought about upgrading the original output transformers to Tamura
F2011. Did anybody perform a similar upgrade ? I would like
DIY-ers oppinion on the matter.

Thanks

Tigro
Old 8th December 2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

Unless it's an exact fit, I wouldn't do it. You wouldn't want to turn your production quality chassis into a hack job.
Old 8th December 2008, 08:23 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I and others have done similar things on other amplifiers, and at worst to get something that looks nice you just order a nice piece (or 2) of copper or stainless steel plate in the appropriate dimensions online, measure and drill for the new transformers and for some of the mounting locations of the old transformers - if done with care you both stiffen the flimsy AQ chassis and end up with something that looks nice as well.

ASL HK makes very reasonable quality OPTs, but the Tamuras are still likely to be a rather significant improvement if you purchase one of their higher end products.
Old 9th December 2008, 08:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Dear Jeb

Thank you so much for your answer
Old 9th December 2008, 08:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Dear Kevin
Thank you for your answer.I'll consider your advice. The Tamura
F-2011 has a primary impedance of 3,4K which is a bit high for
4 KT88-s in parallel push pull.
There might be some Sowter transformers more suitable for this
job. I await Mr. Sowter's answer.

Regards

Tigro
Old 10th December 2008, 05:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tigro
The Tamura
F-2011 has a primary impedance of 3,4K which is a bit high for
4 KT88-s in parallel push pull.
This is serious power game. I presume you are upwards 520V B+ region. You won't get optimum throughput power with this Prim Z. You should be aiming around 2K A-A and you will have to take care of ringing with A and g2 snubbers. The best tranny I've used is the Sowter 8659 43% UL with 4 sep o/p windings for optimum quality and b/w.. Study the Sowter website p-p secondary configuration.
Beware they aren't cheap !

rich
Old 17th December 2008, 09:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Dear rich

Thank you very much for your answer. I already found the Sowter
site and I am in the middle of email exchange with Mr. Sowter Brian. I think I already found something suitable and it also fits the chassis mechanically.

Regards

Tigro
Old 17th December 2008, 09:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Tigro;
The 8659 or variants are large transformers (?10Kg )and particulary smooth response using fixed bias around 60mA per tube. At 2/3 power I got a 10Khz square wave looking in pic. It all depends on the performance of the driver stage. When you get the power stage performing the square wave shown in pic, then you can't ask for more. The distortion is also very low.

richj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10khz 50w 8659 6550-12by7-ecf80.jpg (31.9 KB, 405 views)
Old 17th December 2008, 11:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

hey Rich,
That is a nice looking response. What sort of amp is in front of it?
cheers,
Douglas
Old 18th December 2008, 03:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandersnatch
What sort of amp is in front of it?
cheers,
Douglas
Both power amps in pic are my strong man studio "Samson & Goliath" class both capable of cruising 200W per channel with KT88's, one has a Sowter 8659 14 sect and other Majestic Partridge spec'd 18 sect, both British wound o/p trannies performing -3dB down around 50KHz. On listening both are close, -, --> I favour the Majestic on iron/winding technicals; requires less A-G2 snubbing but is 10% larger, more consistent construction and goes down to 15Hz and this one has reduced B+ running Tung-Sol 6550's (Rt side).
These heavy amps (each 55kg) are for those who like their music blinding loud or play clean MI (as I do): they use a variable B+ with a PFC converter for economic running. The 12BY7A driver stages & front end Concertina ECF80 are identical.
Those wanting a real UL p-p design challenge in the high end game have got one..every aspect must be math'ed out, including loop gains. Both amps can accept 35dB global nfb before instability sets in. This is a tough challenge as the winding parasitics are much higher than smaller designs, require careful snubbing as the energy is far higher and these amp designs cannot be slapped together as with lower powers. A simple mistake can be expensive in both tubes and patience.
Take note!

richj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sam&gol red.jpg (65.6 KB, 383 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!