• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mystery Tube Amplifier -- Help?????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone recognise this amp???

Tubes - 2x ECC40 ( fitted with CV3884 )
2x EL37 ( fitted with KT66 )
1x GZ32 ( fitted with GZ34 )

Also has a preamp section

Andy

Attachments

• valveamp007.jpg
    valveamp007.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 718
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andy,
It's hard to say for sure. It looks close to original and is obviously European. It reminds me of a Leak in some ways, but I don't think it is. The transformers are different from anything I've seen Leak use.

We really need on older member from "across the pond" to chime in on this.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andy,
Can you show up pictures from the top and front? That might trigger someone's memory, even if it's marked up.

Things you know:

The approximate age
The tube compliment
Possibly the make of the transformers.
The rough circuit configuration and power output.

From that, you might be able to track down the OEM, or brand. Most manufacturers find a way to do things and don't stray from that too often. There is also a post on the rear panel to select some mode of operation or output impedance. That looks a lot like what I have seen on the small Leak stereo amp I have that uses 6BQ5s. Okay, they are EL84s. :D

Anyway, you may find it by cruising through schematics of that era.

-Chris

My guess it's an old Bell & Howell amp from an old Cine projector. 15Watts is the absolute limit. It's certaintly not a Radford, as the layout is cramped tight. Radfords get V. hot and sound poor.
Judging from your comments, the front panel has been added and perhaps camuflagued the entire amp. B&H didn't use any special amp design.
:att'n: Beware: these early amps often used an uninsulated AC/ DC chassis; ie common practise that the line plug HAD to be wired the correct way to avoid electric shock. Bell and Howell at the time i.e 1950's were high quality manufacturers so they would have used the standard mains isolating transformer, but even so do the checks first.
I've come across many vintage amps modified with total neglect to high voltage safety and users unaware of this.

richj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.