• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cleaning tubes...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kenpeter said:
I'd almost rather dip them in liquid Draino...
No idea if either is a good idea, or just plain nuts???
Your sigline above tells the whole story...

Being fair, I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek ! The sockets cleaned up beautifully, and the tubes are filthy and tricky to clean up.

The photo below shows what they look like - this is a stock photo of a clean tube, not one of the many rather scummy examples I have.

I was really wondering whether it would totally destroy the tubes, bearing in mind they are ceramic and quite tough...

Attachments

• 4cx250b.jpg
    4cx250b.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 463
nickds1 said:
Would an ultrasonic bath be a killer for them? It would ceratinly clean them up a treat, but would it be a terminal experience.

I don't think an ultrasonic cleaning would hurt the tube assuming it was suspended in the solution by wires or string. But do not use any strong acid or alkali (like draino) that would attack the kovar seals. Personally, I would soak them in dish detergent for a while, then use a tooth brush on them. Scouring powder also works well. In any event you'll probably lose the printed label unless you stay clear of it.

Here's a little info that may be of interest.
http://www.kk5dr.com/Tubes.html

Victor

Well, I used 5 minutes @ 50C in a 3% Tikopur & water solution at 45kHz/100W.

(sort of) before and after photos below. I say "sort of" before, as the dirty tube is one that looked pretty much the same as the one I cleaned. All markings came off, but tube still seems to work fine. I finished off the silver by dipping the tube into "Goddards Silver Dip" which is a pretty standard silver cutlery cleaning dip we get here in the UK.

Cheers!

Attachments

• p1000865a.jpg
    p1000865a.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 161
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.