• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6as7/6080 Se Otl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
desperateaudio said:
Lars,

"but the sensitivity is very high at 100mV rms"

could you elaborate please. Input sensitivity? Thanks

Input voltage required to give full output.
CD player gives 2.00v !!
Usual input sensitivity is around 0.75v for maximum output.

Remember
With 6080, apply filament ( heater ) supply for at least 2 minutes before applying the high voltage........

Andy

Klimon: The 6SN7 is not connected as cascode. Desperateaudio had allready breadboarded the 6SN7 cascaded driver so I just checked it for him. Wouldn´t recommend it either!

Your recommendations are great!

Without NFB 6C45 is the best choice, albeit it normally sounds better with a high B+ 400V and anoderesistor. Remember Milletts measurements are without load! 5842 is a nice sounding, descent tube but suffers from limited swing capability compared to 6C45.

One could even add a small amount of NFB to the 6C45 and still get an acceptable senstivity.

If one decide to use NFB a cascaded 6H30 would be the obvious choice. My idea is that the feedback shouldn´t be over the whole configuration, the input tube should be left outside the loop.

Klimon,
Think you will like this simple one;) .

It sims 2W at 8ohm with 1% THD and a DF of 3. Sensitivity is 1Vrms. NFB in the ballpark of 10dB.

Attachments

• 6080nfb.png
    6080nfb.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 565
If you want high Zin and possibility to add a volume pot this could be the solution. One more tube and some sand is needed though. Negative supply is same as DC heater-voltage. Another advantage is that effects of "Mr. Miller" is less pronounced.

Attachments

• 6080nfbdiff.png
    6080nfbdiff.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 523
Just finished breadboarding the original design last night. Plugged the CD Player into a passive preamp volume control (50K) and then directly into amp. Sensitivity is an issue as previously discussed as I cannot get volume to go above a few clicks before distortion. The orginal design cannot be good for more then a few watts. Keep volume in check and she sound like she has potential.

If you want high Zin and possibility to add a volume pot this could be the solution. One more tube and some sand is needed though.
Couldn't the shunt feedback circuit you posted be modified to a classical cathode-cathode feedback design (+ volume pot) with satisfactory results?

Keep volume in check and she sound like she has potential.
That's some quick result. Keep us posted on the evolution.

Simon

With a 0,75A CCS and three 6080s at 100V Ua 135V B+ you can get ca 2W 5% 8ohm and 0,15W 1% 8ohm. More tubes are needed when going 8ohm!

The problems with ESLs are that that they have extremely low Z at 20kHz. But up there not so much is needed. Still I think you should have at least 5 parallelled for that kind of use!

Poynton: Why not the old Philips 9710, 800ohm:D!

revintage said:
With a 0,75A CCS and three 6080s at 100V Ua 135V B+ you can get ca 2W 5% 8ohm and 0,15W 1% 8ohm. More tubes are needed when going 8ohm!

The problems with ESLs are that that they have extremely low Z at 20kHz. But up there not so much is needed. Still I think you should have at least 5 parallelled for that kind of use!

Well I put it together as a stereo amp 3 per side as a test. I will now take it and convert it to a mono block 5 or 6 tubes and see what happens. Give me a fee day. ALso I will try and psot pic's tonight.

poynton said:

Which version did you try ??

Your original or the one with CCS?

Andy

The original design. My power supply PT transformer, choke and heater trans were all from a military 6AS7 power supply using 6 - 6AS7's so they are all poted trans with extreme current capabilities. I will post pics tonight before a start on the other. Also I will post current voltage measurements and power schematic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.