• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6as7/6080 Se Otl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Attached is a schematic posted here a few years back from I believe Joel on a single ended OTL using 6080/6AS7's driven by a single 6SN7. Has anyone built this? I am thinking about giving it a go. The only real change I would think to make right off the bat is to give each cathode a resistor as I am under the impression that the 6080/6AS7 should have each cathode held to current on its own. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 6080-se-otl.gif
    6080-se-otl.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 2,500
I would put a 250ohm resistor on each cathode and tie the base of each together. I parallel that gets me to 41.3 ohms and the original schematic shows 40ohms for the top resistor. then i would go and attach that to the final 40ohm resistor to ground and tie the grid resistor in between as originally designed. I will drawin it up and post it.

Thx

here is the revised schematic showing how i plan to implement the cathode resistors in parallel. Again I stated earlier I have read that 6AS7's need to have separate resitors on each side of the triode to keep the current in check for the tube overall.

Any comments?

Thx

Attachments

• otlserevised.pdf
    95.4 KB · Views: 580
desperateaudio said:
here is the revised schematic showing how i plan to implement the cathode resistors in parallel. Again I stated earlier I have read that 6AS7's need to have separate resitors on each side of the triode to keep the current in check for the tube overall.

Any comments?

Thx

The large value of the cathode resistors chosen ( even though they are in parallel ) will severely reduce the output !!

Even if reduced to, say, 10ohms each, as in a previous post, the output would still be reduced.

Andy

Attachments

• otl.png
    otl.png
    87 KB · Views: 1,174
desperateaudio said:

Any comments?

Thx

The large value of the cathode resistors chosen ( even though they are in parallel ) will severely reduce the output !!

Even if reduced to, say, 10ohms each, as in a previous post, the output would still be reduced.

Andy

?? Looks fine to me.

I think the implementation of a cathode choke should be worthwile (raising cost with about 60$ using Hammonds), requiring lower B+ and also (more importantly, or am I mistaken?) raising efficiency. Here's a similar circuit: http://vincent.brient.free.fr/otl7w_fr.htm

Regards - Simon

To make this cicuit work you have to take out max currents through the 6080s which means their workingpoint should be Ia 125mA, Ua 100V.

You should also use a choke or a CCS from the cathodes to ground. A B+ of 130-170V will do.

Every triode has an theoretical (simplified 1/Gm)Rout of ca 140ohms, so adding a separate 10 ohm to each one will not make you loose so much. Without NFB Zout will be high anyway.

If going for a 8ohm load I would suggest using at least 5 but preferably 10 6080s/channel.

Klimon said:
?? Looks fine to me.

I think the implementation of a cathode choke should be worthwile (raising cost with about 60$ using Hammonds), requiring lower B+ and also (more importantly, or am I mistaken?) raising efficiency. Here's a similar circuit: http://vincent.brient.free.fr/otl7w_fr.htm

Regards - Simon

A cathode choke would improve efficiency.

Your circuit (see below) has the output taken via several caps from the cathode not from the junction of the resistors so the output power would be 'unaffected'.
Also the biasing is different.

I think what is needed is a combination of designs.

Andy

Attachments

• otl2.png
    otl2.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 1,126
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.