• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Theory

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...a rose by any other name...

I suspect one of the 'failings' of CF is that they are not transparent i.e. one can always hear their insertion...but then no circuit (or component) is...

So it's an unfair 'rap'

The insertion of any single stage circuit is audiable...some slightly some a lot... Are CFs worse than other single stages? Depends on the application - sometimes they make it worse - some times they make it better... Horses for courses - again...

BTW I almost never use them (or in ss emitter followers)... I think better solutions are available...but that's just me...

ciao

James

Brett said:
...There are classic designs out there that are well regarded amongst some people using CF's. In a commercial design, there is a requirement to be able to drive a wide range of poweramps, so some designers choose them. We are not so restricted in diy to the came commercial considerations.

Did you not say that?
I'm sorry if I mischaracterized your comments, but it sure sounds to me like you are saying that designing for a "wide range" of possible loads is a restrictive, "commercial" requirement. :confused:

Joel said:
I'm sorry if I mischaracterized your comments,

You quoted me correctly in the above post, but misrepresented my statements in your earlier post.

You said <i>Brett is siding with the Frank D. philosophy of DIY which is that any circuit that can be used in multiple applications is "bad". </i> I have never said that, simply that were are able to optimise for what we are using as diyers.
Note your applied spin by the use of the words "any" and "bad".

If all my poweramps have a > 100k input Z, and my pre sufficiently low output Z, gain and drive, why design for 5k, by adding another stage with a CF, which <i>generally</i> I consider to be inferior sounding?

Then you said, <i>A "good" circuit is specialized to a single application.</i>. I didn't say that, again it's only your spin. Do you put taxi tyres on a Lambo because they're more universally applicable, and you never know, someone might want to use it as a taxi?
If you optimise something for it's desired function, then it stands a <u>greater chance</u> of being the best for that function.

Earlier I said
<i>We are not so restricted in diy to the same commercial considerations.</i>
Are you challenging that, or do you think it would be possible for ARC for example to go into production today with your 71a poweramp? Where would they source sufficient numbers of tubes? Apart from having them manufactured, not a simple or cheap proposition, then due to commercial considerations, it's not practical, whereas for a diyer it is to build a stereo amp and amass enough spares for many years of service.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.