• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was playing around with PSUDII, trying to simulate a PSU for my 813 SET idea. The raw B+ I am getting is around 950-1000V depending on the amount of current I pull. Trouble is a lot of chokes don't have that for insulation ratings.

Can one just put the choke on the ground side and have it function the same without insulation problems? I've seen it done before, but I wanted to double check with the experts.

You can use some isolation material like vitroplast (PCB), plastic or....
teflon if you like.
1000 volts is not so high voltage to be :scared:
We Hams also using high voltage in my case 2.5 KV on the anode of GU50.
1cm free space from the chassis is more than enough for 1000v.

If the choke is accessible from the outside, and people will potentially contact it, then I would place it in the negative path. No problem at all doing this, as long as you realize "circuit common" has now moved to the downstream end of the choke.

i.e. if you have a CLC filter, circuit common will be at the grounded end of the second C.

Thanks guys. I am using a choke input supply. My first choke is a monster, completely sealed, 6h/35ohm. It can take the voltage. However, it wasn't enough to get the ripple low enough with just an LC, so I was considering at least another section.

These are monoblocks, so whatever I do, will be done twice. Hammond has some useable chokes but the 1000V rated chokes are nearly twice the 600VDC rated ones. So I was thinking of putting the second choke on the ground side instead. It might go under the hood, or it may not. I haven't thought that far down the line.

P.S. Does anyone know how to make their own hybrid bridge in PSUDII? I was looking to make a 6CJ3/SS hybrid bridge. All that is already available is all 6CJ3 or 5AU4 Graetz bridge.

JoshK said:

P.S. Does anyone know how to make their own hybrid bridge in PSUDII? I was looking to make a 6CJ3/SS hybrid bridge. All that is already available is all 6CJ3 or 5AU4 Graetz bridge.

Run the sim twice - with SS and vacuum rectifiers. Then take the average of the two.

As for the choke, I see no problem with putting one in the minus lead... might even give a little more common mode noise suppression.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.