Peavey Delta Blues Reverb Frustration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This problem does not exist when when the reverb is turned to 0.

But if I turn up the reverb, it will be fine, for a few minutes, then all of the sudden this hum starts appearing, at first, very subtle, but progressively getting worse. IF I turn the reverb to 0...it immediately goes away.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

jay

Thanks for the suggestion. It is in a reverb pan bag, with a piece of cardboard underneath it in the bag.

I will try to isolate it with some acoustic foam and see if that helps. Trust me...this is driving me wacko...

I am honestly clueless on determining if it is "it is at 50/60Hz"...but if the isolation attempt doesnt prove fruitful, I will attempt to learn how to find out.

I appreciate the responses.

well...

sometimes, reverb pans become mechanically sensitive and start to do what you describe. A replacement pan might fix that, assuming it's not a design issue. You could try silicone on the pan as well:

Often, the transducers get loose on the core at each end. These are like small transformer coils, which induce or detect magnetic waves through a laminated metal core. This causes the springs to vibrate and produce reverb.

Adding some RTV Silicone to the transducer and cores (to minimize vibration and stop the coils from moving around), can sometimes fix this. Make sure you DO NOT get silicone on the springs !! You only want to deal with the transducer coils themselves. I also like to add a dab of silicone to the wires at the shell too, which minimizes failures during transport.

Have fun.

Attachments

• reverb-1.jpg
    reverb-1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 162
Alright...thanks for the pics, those helped alot to understand your post...and that does appear like something I can try w/o getting in too much trouble...

Is this possible...
could it possibly be the big 15" magnet on the speaker is the culprit. When I took the tank out, the magnet grabbed the tank on the way out (and way back into the case) and I just wondered if the magnetic field was affecting the springs or something. I put a folded up towel on top of the tank (which is in a tank case) and didn't get the hum, but of course it could be the watched pot doesn't boil syndrome...

Any thoughts ....

Yes...

It indeed sounds like self-oscillation, but the poster has not mentioned whether this has always happened, or recently started happening. If it's started recently the pan more than likely has become microphonic. If it always happened, then it's a design issue. You could easily roll off the low end on the pan return amp, and tweak it, but let's first make sure it's not a matter of the pan acting up first...

:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.