• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC81 or CV4024?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
12AT7

CV4024 have far better availability than standard ECC81 and as a result , should be cheaper . The going rate for Cv4024 in the UK is about £8 per tube . However if you purchase CV4024 , ensure the tubes are tested and matched . There appears to be more batch variation than standard commercial ECC81 . About 25% of the CV4024/M8162 I have tested also show >15% sectional imbalances , even after burn-in so if you buy these , choose the vendor carefully .

316a

6J5 = 1/2 * A2900

There’s no problem spending $$$$, as long as nobody else is able to create comparable result from $$. It will be painful to have an expensive gear but the performance is not better than another or someone else’s cheap gear.

As an audio system consists of not only a preamp, I will prefer buying a better loudspeaker than buying 10 A2900. It’s not about the price. It’s about what I think I will get with the money.

I’ve already assembled a power supply along with the tubes. The transformer is 2X250V or 2X300V. I also have bought 2 Mullard CV4024. I’m now thinking of the possibility to build a 2-gain stage preamp using the Mullard and RCA 6J5. All tubes are military grade. The 6J5 is half the A2900 price, but the most important thing is, I know where to find it, I know how it "sounds", and I know many audiophiles also like it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
hi jay,

If U choose 6j5 why not considerate 76.56 or 26 tube.
26 is the best & low price but a little bit trouble to handle the hum. 26 is a DHT.
The triode sound was detail that above,
try to considerate.
I try this type 1960's military china 6sn7 & cost only USD 10~12 per piece.
NOS & 100% brand new. I got 1000pcs & prepare to kit use.
Hope more Diyer will love them.

thanks

Thomas

www.diyaudiocraft.com

Attachments

• new products 005.jpg
    new products 005.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 156
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
hi jay,

If U interest for 6j5, try to click my friend;s website.
he use
DIY PRE-AMPLIFIER: 6J5 with Transformer Output

his web. http://www.vt4c.com.

I was search in the old stock for 14950~1960 china military grade tubes. Hopw 12at7 can find wthin USD 6 NOS brans new one.
Every tubes I will test the Ia & Iv.
I will fully matching them within 1%.
They were coming......................

thanks

Thomas

www.diyaudiocraft.com

Good luck !

I rejected almost the whole batch of 100 'military' T grade Chinese 6SN7 I received a while ago . AWFUL ! Very poor matching (>20% imbalance) , electrode leakage , low emmision and grid current were the main problems on the majority = not good , you may get 20 out of 1000 with 1% matching if mine were anything to go by . Took me a lot of time to test the batch too , never again . Luckily I was credited with a refund , hope the ones you bought are better . The vendor is still selling these too !

316a

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.