Help! May have dropped 12sn7 in place of 6sn7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2008, 04:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help! May have dropped 12sn7 in place of 6sn7

I bought what I thought were Philco branded "Bad boy" 6sn7's off ebay, not labeled 6sn7 or anything at all, and plugged them in my yaqin mc-100b. They lite up just fine, but one had no sound until I tapped it, then she went. Next day sounded like it was shorting out, distorting and such. On the next fire up she went perfect as drivers, but when I put them back into the gain stage the one didn't work, and next thing the other only worked when the amp was powering down and turned off.....weird! The end result was the left channel no longer works with any tubes. I think they may have been 12sn7's or other, because during this I would occasionally place "correct working" tubes to check nothing bad was happening, but of course something bad did happen, any ideas what? Does this sound like what would happen with the wrong tube?

Here's the schematics from DIY http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...mp=1200504582&
Old 30th November 2008, 04:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

12SN7 won't light visibly on 6.3V. And you certainly can't hurt an amp by plugging a 12SN7 into a 6SN7 socket (might hurt your ears with distortion, depending on circuit...). But a SHORTED tube... that COULD zap something, depending on what's shorted and the circuit it's in.
Old 1st December 2008, 03:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

That could be, but I'm not 100% sure about the 12sn7, it could be anything that resembles a "bad boy" but I'll bet it's just shorted the way the one was acting, the other seemed OK and sounded good. I opened up the amp and didn't notice anything visual out of the ordinary, I'll check the power tubes next all the pre tubes are good ones now. Then attempt a diagnosis.

Hide this!Advertise here!