• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What Do I Have Here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There really should be a special forum dedicated to identification of tubes and stuff we find in our attics or garage sales etc.

In any case picked up a Lambda c-882m tube power supply.. for no peticular reason except it was in such good shape and i thought i might want to use the case for a project.

In any case I at the point where I need to decide.

a. Do I invest in the dozen 6l6GC tubes it needs to operate
OR
b. Strip it out.. sell off most of the parts and keep the case for another project.

What do you think?

Other questions I have.
1. where do i plug it in? i cannot find a cord or a place for one.

2. are these giant caps any good? paper in oil? or would they need to be replaced for it to work?

3. would something like this only be useful for testing purposes or could it serve as a good supply for an amp?

Any experiences with massive tube supplies like this.

Oh and it weighs about 90lbs. insane.

What would you do with it?

Attachments

• lamda c-882mc.jpg
    lamda c-882mc.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 480
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Few things..
500V 500Ma supply is a good item, but looks like it needs
alot of work and money to invest..
6L6's can add up
12AX7 and 5Y3's too
Also looks like you need to replace all the fuseholders.

Input shows on the terminal board bottom 115V
Output above with NO senseing jumpers needed.

So, bottom line, If you need one Lambda is a great name
and great for tube work. I would sell one like this if
I had one in stock for $250.00

Forgot one thing: The caps do not say NO PCB's and
will be concidered hazerous waste

My 2 cents
Steve @ Apex Jr.

Looks like a good supply. I'd fix it up and use it, but that is me. I'd get some old Russian 6P3S, I think that is the number. Its the equivalent of 6L6's. They are super expensive, so you could retube for less. Get it off ebay and you can likely get some 12ax7's and the recitifier from the same dude.

I think the big square things next to the caps that say AAN____ are the transformers.

Take care of the fuses and safety issues.

Those capacitors are foil and kraft paper in oil. Very little chance of any problems with them if they are not leaking. I have the little brother of this Lambda supply. Lower voltage and current and uses six 6W6 pass tubes to your twelve 6L6's.

IMO it would be a huge sin to part this out. Someone needs a fully regulated vacuum tube bench supply like this and will pay the bucks if you don't want it. That should have no problem commanding $500 on epay if you can find someone who has not been hurt by the global recession.

If you need the room I'll store it for you on my lab bench. ;)

Thanks very much. I will clean it up and keep intact then. I have a bunch of 12ax7 so just need the 12 others. Josh the 6P3S idea is a good one. reasonably priced.

Once I have all the tubes, replace the fuse holders etc. I am still confused as to where to hook up the ac? can anyone tell from the first pick which is + and which is ground.
Hairy that screw terminal board.. seems like there should be a cover!

Great find.
IMO it would be a sin to part it for parts and just to keep the chassis.
Russian tubes are not as expensive, and of course you don't need to go NOS with this piece of equipment.
4x 6P3S will cost you about 14 USD (plus about 12 USD S&H), and you could replace (some additional fiddling required) 12AX7s with 6N2P...

If *I* really needed a chassis and couldn't find a use for a regulated power supply, I'd sell it off in ePay. But a PSU always has a way to come in handy :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.