• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Wanted. Simple EL34 Push Pull Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Without meaning to offend, this is why cathode followers exist!

You don´t think it is offending to fingerpoint the obvious?

Without meaning to offend, aren´t you making things overly complicated.

The threadstarter asked about a simple amp!

About prejudice I have earlier mentioned that I use a patentable variation of cascode+CF(ECC88+half ECC83), called TULP) in my guitaramps. They works wonders there and have given me good reviews in Swedish magazines.

No matter how they measure it doesn´t tell if they sound good!

As much as you like cascodes I don´t like them nor CFs in HiFI equipment.

It´s a matter of opinions, not about predjudice;) .

Searching for the simplest PP possible, transformer input must be the way to go!

If using a transformer-balanced out preamp the input transformer should be eliminated.

This adds a cost of up to £100 depending on transformers choosen. As this is a British request from the beginning, Sowter might be the choice.

I have almost everything for this design lying around. Has anyone tried this design, or has any opinion on it?

Simplified Williamson EL34 PP

I built a pair of EL34 PP based on Williamson W5M design. It has no NFB and now using Lundahl LL1620AM-PP OPT. It has excellent sound that I ever heard with highs and mids matches with my SE amps.

Johnny:D

p.s. the two resistors at EL34's cathode should be 5-ohm instead of 50 ohm.

Attachments

• Johnny's 807 PP amp.jpg
    Johnny's 807 PP amp.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 439
I did a simple single sided toner transfer PCB using 6JT8 driver tubes and 6L6-KT88 output tubes. It was a joint project with Kegger, he asked if I would be interested in this project, his idea for the driver tube being low cost and available. I spent over 6 months playing with different tubes, caps and output iron and B+ combinations.......
The lowest cost was 6P3S Russian tubes with 8K-8 20watt output iron. B+ was about 360V for the 6P3S tubes. The final experiment used 6550 Svetlana outputs with 480V B+ and Hammond 60watt 4.3K iron. This is what was build up in the final amp.
The objective was an amp that could be built by a beginner, low cost. The PCB allows for jumpers in the B+ string if caps do not need to be stacked. That helps to keep the cost down on the lower voltage B+ 6P3S version.

Attachments

• 1.0_pcb1c.jpg
    1.0_pcb1c.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 376
  • 2.0_6P3S_1.jpg
    2.0_6P3S_1.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 8.0 Assembled_b.jpg
    8.0 Assembled_b.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 308
  • KEG_EAR REV_D.jpg
    KEG_EAR REV_D.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 339
  • 6L6_KT88_AMP.jpg
    6L6_KT88_AMP.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 284
First I use the Peerless output transformer came with the W5M kit. Unfortunately, it wasn't sound right to me. Then, I put the Lundahl LL1620-PP and it had much better performance. However, the vocal wasn't sweet at all unless I play with some latest CD music. I use Lundahl's amorphous core OPT for my single ended amps and I thought how would it make the difference with amorphous core OPT in PP amp. Then, I persuade my very best friend to buy a pair of the LL1620AM-PP for each of us. After I got the AM-PP OPT, I put that in, and wowhhhh, it sound so lovely with very finite details like SE amp and slamming punch bass.

The Williamson design of the power stage bias helps in reducing the distortion and balancing of the two tubes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.