power transformer recommendation - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2008, 10:46 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

I will put in a plug for the people at Edcor,

By coincidence, a couple of power transformers arrived from Edcor today. They were a custom design for my (slow to build) 845.

Edcor were helpful, fast and the transformers are nicely made and testing to specifications. Good price too.

Thought they deserved a good word.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 13th December 2008, 03:34 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

I missed this thread because it started during the week that I was out of town. A Simple SE with EL34's, KT88's, or good quality 6L6GC's works best with a B+ in the 420 to 475 volt range. This requires a power transformer with a 700 to 750 volt range. These are usually specified as 700 VCT to 750 VCT or 350-0-350 volts to 375-0-375 volts. A transformer with a slightly lower voltage can be used with lower output power. Do not go over 750 VCT as this will allow the B+ voltage to go too high. A 6.3 volt winding is needed to power the amplifier tube filaments. A 5 volt winding is needed to power the rectifier tube.

I usually tell people to use the Allied 6K7VG especially if cost is an issue. The Hammond 274BX is essentially the same transformer, but cost more. The Hammond 374BX is a larger and better built transformer, with an even higher price.

Quote:
There's a guy in N. Arlington, NJ who makes, and markets toroids for the masses.
I have bought a few Antek transformers for other projects. You can use a AN-4T360 (720 VCT) to power a Simple SE. It does not have a 5 volt winding, so you must use the Solid State diodes, and no rectifier tube. The AN-4T400 puts out too much voltage with the solid state rectifier.

Quote:
i found a supplier who can get me hammond's in a week. my outputs are now hammonds, power still unknown.
274BX, or 374BX.

Hide this!Advertise here!