Understanding Simple SE design choices - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2008, 07:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Understanding Simple SE design choices

Hi, so I was reading this thing:
http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE_design.htm
I'm trying to figure out how to design an amp myself, so I started following along with the reasoning presented.
So, I graphed myself a load line using a 5k output transformer and 450 volts total B+. I marked the Y axis point at 90 mA (450/5k). I marked the X axis point at 450 volts. Cool. This should be the line on which my tube can operate along, right?
So, say I'm aiming for 30 watts of dissipation. I drew the line for that, representing all the points that would cause 30 watts of dissipation. Alright. Now, for me to find a place where I can dissipate 30 watts, I need to look for an intersection with my load line, right? This doesn't seem possible with this loadline.

Here's my graph. The red line is a 30 watt line. Purple line is 28 watts. Yellow line is 10 watts. It seems to me like the only operating points I'll get will be near 10 watts...

I must be doing this wrong. Help!

Thanks

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Understanding Simple SE design choices

Quote:
Originally posted by rockgardenlove
I must be doing this wrong. Help!

Your loadline is a resistor load load, not a transformer load. Transformers do not drop so many volts.

What you need are the tube curves. Say, for instance, that there is a -20V curve that hits 280V at 110mA. Use that as a starting point, bias the grid to -20V, apply a B+ of 280V, ground the cathode. Your load line will be parallel to the one you drew, but it will run through that point. Then you will be dissipating 30W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture2id6.jpg (51.0 KB, 119 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!