• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hewlet Packard transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have any information on a #9100-0082 transformer?

I am looking for ratings and wire code.

It has a pair of green 6.3 volts?

a pair of gray

a pair of brown

a pair of yellow 5volts?

a pair of red with a red/yellow which has to be HV

a blk, blk/yellow, blk/red, blk green

Attachments

• picture 002.jpg
    picture 002.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 458
burnedfingers said:
Does anyone have any information on a #9100-0082 transformer? I am looking for ratings and wire code.

I took a look through my old HP manuals and found the instrument your transformer was used in. It's from the type 738B AC/DC calibrator. This was essentially a well regulated DC supply with a 400~ oscillator and a power amplifier that used a pair of 6550s in PP with up to 300 volts output. It's a nice transformer. But I think the estimate of 350mA w/choke input is too much. Also, the unregulated DC out was 440V and was on the 6550 plates.

Tube compliment:
2) 6550
1) 12AU7
4) 12AX7
1) 6BA6
1) 6CL6
1) 6AU6
1) 6AV5GA
1) 5U4GB
1) 5651A

I am looking for ratings and wire code.

a pair of green...............6.3V for 2/6550, 12AU7, 12AX7, 6BA6

a pair of gray.................6.3V for 6AU6, 6CL6, 12AX7

a pair of brown...............6.3V for 6AV5GA, 2/12AX7 (regulator/elevated)

a pair of yellow 5volts?....yes

a pair of red with a red/yellow which has to be HV...yes

a blk, blk/yellow.............115V

blk/red, blk green...........115V

blk+blk/red....................230V (blk/yel & blk/grn tied together)

Attachments

• mvc-030s.jpg
    mvc-030s.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 382
Any ideas as to how much amperage the green 6.3 winding might be capable of? Any way to check this? The leads are thick gauge solid wire.

Quote:
The secondary output is 830 with no load.

Actually upon rechecking this and finding that I didn't get the same reading I changed the batteries in my meter and came up with 870 AC no load and 597VDC on the output of a 5U4 and a 16mfd/600 volt cap. Wouldn't this push the capabilities of this transformer up a little more?

Update if anyone is interested

I used the transformer in my "Spare Parts Dynaco" amplifier that I built. It seems to work fine and will run for hours and still run cooler than the stock transformer does. The only glitch was it didn't have a bias tap and this problem was solved in another thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.