• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6BG6 for KT66

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Peter

As far as my memory goes, the 6BG6 is an octal version of the 6L6 with a different pinout and a topcap. That makes it a sister of the 807, which I know has been succesfully implemented in Quad 2 amplifiers, which originally employed KT66's. So, it should work, but lets wait what others have to say about it!

Erik

Yea, nothing to really add to what Eli has said, except that 6L6 is a very generic term. It was such a successful design that the structure has not really been changed over decades, except for increasing power handling capacity by larger anode area, layered material and improved electrode mounting. Thus one got a 6L6 and 807 (Pa=19W), 6L6GB and 5881 (23W), 6L6GC (30W) and 7027 (35W)

6L6 characteristics are within tube manufacture spread (10%) of KT66, but heater current 40% less. (I notice Russian KT66s use 6L6 innards anyway.)

Eli has given the full picture. (And for myself, for 6BG6 I rather rewired than use the cumbersome adapter.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.