• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido line stage - plus phono line stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am at the early stages of building an Aikido 5687 line stage. I also want to integrate RJM's 6DJ8 phono stage into the chassis for an all in one preamp.

I have all the iron figured out - I am using a separate 12.6V xformer for all heater needs - it is a 3A unit which just gets me there.

My main question is, if I use the preamp primarily for non-phonograph use, how can I easily cut B+ and heater current so that I am not running the tubes when they are not in use?

My target B+ is 250VDC. Would a standard DPST switch rated at 250VAC be sufficient?

Presumably a double pole switch, with one pole cutting the HT and one pole cutting the heater supply to the phono section.
A 240V mains switch should survive- everybody uses them. The current levels are so low that you can over-voltage them quite a bit and still get long life.

Alternatively, you could just switch a resistor into the heater circuit so that the phono valves run with a reduced heater voltage (about 6V say), which will allow them to idle at reduced temperature. Since you're only dealing with low voltage, the switch rating won't be a problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.