diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Hook up wire? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/133443-hook-up-wire.html)

cjkpkg 19th November 2008 03:24 PM

Hook up wire?

I was looking through the garage the other day and realized that the alarm guy left about a 100' spool of 4 conductor 22ga solid copper wire at the house.

Would this stuff be good to use for some hookup wire? I am getting ready to build my Aikido line stage and need some hookup wire.

Working voltage will be around 250VDC...

DigitalJunkie 19th November 2008 03:30 PM

It should work fine.
IIRC,wire of that type is usually rated to 300V.

Miles Prower 19th November 2008 10:14 PM

Re: Hook up wire?

Quote:

Originally posted by cjkpkg
I was looking through the garage the other day and realized that the alarm guy left about a 100' spool of 4 conductor 22ga solid copper wire at the house.

Would this stuff be good to use for some hookup wire? I am getting ready to build my Aikido line stage and need some hookup wire.

I prefer stranded wire unless I need the extra mechanical rigidity for microphonic considerations. It should be OK for low voltage, low current wiring, like heaters for small signal types. It'd do just fine for SS projects as well.

The only fly in the ointment is if the alarm guy comes back to retrieve his wire. :D

Renron 20th November 2008 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalJunkie
It should work fine.
IIRC,wire of that type is usually rated to 300V.

I thought that the insulation was the determining factor, and wire diameter determined the Ampers.

Not discounting what you said just trying to understand this myself. I too am wiring up my Preamp. Good question.

Ron

DigitalJunkie 20th November 2008 03:27 PM

You are indeed correct,I should have said -the insulation on this type of wire is usually good for 300V. ;)

In reality,I've used strands of Cat-5 at a few hundred volts in prototypes,etc. and haven't had any issues.(yet.) :clown:

Renron 20th November 2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalJunkie
You are indeed correct,I should have said -the insulation on this type of wire is usually good for 300V. ;)

In reality,I've used strands of Cat-5 at a few hundred volts in prototypes,etc. and haven't had any issues.(yet.) :clown:

DJ,
Your not alone, I read a thread by Bas Horneman who said the same thing about the cat5e / cat6 , PTFE not the PVC as I recall....

It would seem suitabe for low Amperage, and make a great fuse for the heater supply :hot: :bigeyes:

Just looking around the "Net" I found several cat5e makers claim their solid core 24ga. (not stranded) plenum rated (teflon) voltage at 250V MAX. @ 750mA....!

Seems like asking for trouble to me. But I am not an electrical engineer either.....
Ron

cjkpkg 21st November 2008 12:02 AM

The label on the coil reads:
22/4 SOL CM/CL2 5C SB WHT

On the outside insulation:
HONEYWELL 22 AWG 4C (FTI) TYPF CM-CL2 SUN RES (ROHS)

Renron 22nd November 2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cjkpkg
The label on the coil reads:
22/4 SOL CM/CL2 5C SB WHT

On the outside insulation:
HONEYWELL 22 AWG 4C (FTI) TYPF CM-CL2 SUN RES (ROHS)

Translation please?
Ron

cjkpkg 22nd November 2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Renron

Translation please?
Ron

Thats exactly what I am hoping for!!!

I've done a little more digging and it seems that this stuff is good to 300V as mentioned...

The alarm dude left a freakin new shrinkwrapped coil that has to be at least 100' long!!!

I was cleaning out the garage and found it the other day...Its been about 16 months since ADT was here doing the install...

Original Burnedfingers 22nd November 2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

The alarm dude left a freakin new shrinkwrapped coil that has to be at least 100' long!!!

Do the right thing and return it to him. :angel: