Question Conrad Johnson reg. psu? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2008, 11:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Question Conrad Johnson reg. psu?

Could anyone explain to me why the resistor from the + rail to the base of both serial regulating transistors are missing?
Is the control from the two 33v Zeners sufficiant?

Anyone who knows the plate voltage for the Conrad johnson MV75 input and drivertubes?

Best rgds

Kim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conrad psu.jpg (18.1 KB, 368 views)
Old 16th November 2008, 01:42 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That doesn't look like a CJ drawing, and there's several things there that don't make sense. I wouldn't trust it.

That said, a buffered Zener was the standard regulator that they used. Very, very mediocre performance. You can do much better.
Old 16th November 2008, 01:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

http://www.triodeel.com/cjmv75.gif

This is the more complete schematic. The bottom Zener is NOT marked 33V, which was a suspicious value. It's probably 390V or thereabouts.
Old 16th November 2008, 04:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Hi SY

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
http://www.triodeel.com/cjmv75.gif

This is the more complete schematic. The bottom Zener is NOT marked 33V, which was a suspicious value. It's probably 390V or thereabouts.

I could not understand the circuit with the specified 33v zeners - you are probably right about the 390V.
I got another circuit that may do the job better.

Rgds.
Kim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg regpowersupply.jpeg (25.9 KB, 277 views)
Old 16th November 2008, 04:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Another reg. psu!

Another regulated psu for pre and driver tubes!

Any suggestions for simple reg. psu's are welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pv2.jpg (55.8 KB, 288 views)
Old 18th November 2008, 05:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Regulated power supply

Check out this link from the antique radio board. The last post from Terry Judkins contains a schematic I like and I have it about half assembled but I decided to use a dartington chain to get the current up a bit. Havn't got it built yet so I can't comment on performance.

LINK
Old 18th November 2008, 11:51 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Maida works great in that application. I used a simplified version as the screen regulator in the Red Light District amp; it would be perfect for regulating the driver stage. Simple, cheap, higher performance than the Zener-with-a-buffer types.
Old 18th November 2008, 04:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Regulated power supply

Quote:
Originally posted by Captn Dave
Check out this link from the antique radio board. The last post from Terry Judkins contains a schematic I like and I have it about half assembled but I decided to use a dartington chain to get the current up a bit. Havn't got it built yet so I can't comment on performance.

LINK
Hi Dave,

Have tryed your link - could not get the page for the moment.

We have worked with a high volt low impedance psu . The mosfet's used limit the in voltage and of cource the output current. The only component missing on the drawing is one 150u/450-500V capasitor connected from the output +B to GND.

I have used this circuit together with a stereo version of ECLL800 as o/p tubes and a single ECC83 as driver. ( two EM87 for fun VU meters). The current dilivered was approx. 60mA and 307Vdc -- very steady high volt psu up to 400V. I have been looking for N-fet's up to 500V and I found from ST one P4NK50Z 500V type. I only need some few mA for driver and inputtube.

I would like to try with this fet.

Thanks

Rgds Kim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ~map0000 (2).jpg (55.5 KB, 167 views)
Old 18th November 2008, 06:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default PSU reg.

Could not find anything better for psu regulation around than the two circuits already used.

Please find the bipolar and fet regulation on my amateur site.

Rgds

Kim
Old 18th November 2008, 08:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Regulated power supply

Quote:
Originally posted by kimjul2005

Hi Dave,

Have tryed your link - could not get the page for the moment.

We have worked with a high volt low impedance psu . The mosfet's used limit the in voltage and of cource the output current. The only component missing on the drawing is one 150u/450-500V capasitor connected from the output +B to GND.

I have used this circuit together with a stereo version of ECLL800 as o/p tubes and a single ECC83 as driver. ( two EM87 for fun VU meters). The current dilivered was approx. 60mA and 307Vdc -- very steady high volt psu up to 400V. I have been looking for N-fet's up to 500V and I found from ST one P4NK50Z 500V type. I only need some few mA for driver and inputtube.

I would like to try with this fet.

Thanks

Rgds Kim
The link in the first thread is jammed up, but ignore that, page down to the second to last post and review that circuit.

Hide this!Advertise here!