Transcendar RIP? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2008, 02:54 AM   #21
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wrenchone
I'm currently using the 125ESEs in my "Miz Piggy" single ended screen driven amp, and they sound surprisingly nice. I don't notice a whole lot of bass deficiency, but I am using a feedback loop that includes the output transformer, so this no doubt stiffens up the bass. I'm planning a larger versin of this amp using the 5k 15W Transcendars.
I also like the 125ESE. I have a pair of 125ESE's on my Simple SE that previously had seen both the 3K and 5K Transcendars. (I have run the 125ESE's out to 100ma per side, but usually run them around 60-65 mils, on the 10k tap.)

When I first put the 125ESE's in service I thought they had a stronger bass response than the 5K Transcendars. After listening a few hours, I decided they were peaky in the mid bass in my application so I connected up one of the unused secondaries for cathode feedback and they flattened out very nicely. I never felt that either of the Transcendars required any feedback.

I have gotten quite used to the sound of the 125ESE and have no plans to change them out.

I have the 5K Transcendars on a 45 Tubelab SE and they sound great in that application. I am considering getting some Robin Hoods for the Tubelab SE and that would free up the Transcendars for a dedicated 6V6 Simple SE. I also have some of the small open frame Edcors, but have not used them yet.

Win W5JAG
Old 19th November 2008, 03:02 AM   #22
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wrenchone
kmaier -

One might conclude from this that the primary inductance and bass performance would be better on the Trranscendars.
I recall reading somewhere that the primary inductance of the 125ESE is 10H, so it is considerably less than the Transcendars.

Win W5JAG
Old 19th November 2008, 06:25 AM   #23
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Wrench,

Thanks for the comparison on the two... I've not yet seen my Transcendars... will collect them from my folks place next month. The 125ESE, while rated at 15-watts, are doubtful at that power level, but then again Hammond only rate them down to 100Hz and 1dB down at that point. Their website shows inductance at 9.58HY and 90.9 ohms DC resistance.

The Transcendar 5K OPTs are listed as 40HY and 370 ohms DC resistance. I like the higher inductance, but not so much the high DC resistance. Either way I expect better low frequency response from them. Do post your findings when you measure them however.

Win,

I can certainly recommend the Robin Hood OPTs. More expensive than the Hammond or Transcendar, but nicely made and they perform very well. I also recall reading on JE's site some time ago that he found some wide variations in the Hammond specs out of a group of them. In any case, if you want the prettier RH versions (endbells and flying leads) they'll cost a good chunk more. You can also specify to omit the screen taps if you don't plan on using an UL config.

The baby Edcors also look interesting.... seems similar performance to the Hammond at an even lower price point. Others have had favorable feedback on them. It's unlikely I'll ever find out.... just not enough time to play with them all. Still have 3 more sets of chassis to build for the iron on hand, being the James, RH-40 and the Transcendars. I'm using an identical chassis layout, wiring and schematic, so you really can't get a better comparison.

Here's a pic of the first chassis... fitted with the 125ESE:

Click the image to open in full size.

Regards, KM
Old 19th November 2008, 06:40 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

A man after my own heart - check out my "6CDGGA ehanced triode" thread for a picture of "Miz Piggy" and the 125ESEs - another squeeze job. She's playing in the background as I write this.
I think you'll be pleased with the finish on the Transcendars when you see them, though I doubt you'll be able to fit them on the chassis arrangement you show. They are much better looking than any of the other budget priced iron I have on hand.

BTW - I can't fault your taste in magnetics, but you have deep pockets. I may try some of the pricier stuff when I get my feet a little wetter. I've only built 3 tube amps so far, and have 4-5 other designs in the pipeline to prove out various ideas.
Old 19th November 2008, 07:15 AM   #25
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

I found "Miz Piggy"... yea, there is a bit of art and satisfaction is squeezing them onto a small platform . Nice job on getting the parts intimate with one another. Actually I prefer a smaller chassis with a good layout to support the circuit and keep everything short and direct. I use an old AutoCAD system for the mechanical layout and then plot a 1:1 template on an old pen plotter... makes this stuff relatively easy and 100% repeatable.

I am having a bit of a tough time fitting the end-belled RH-40 units onto this chassis layout, it's a basic Hammond 9x5x2 and pretty packed, here's an underneath shot:

Click the image to open in full size.

Needless to say, moving anything around can be a challenge. I used a 10x6x2 chassis for the Hashimoto based 45... much easier fit but the same mechanical layout (which I adapted for the budget amp above). As for deep pockets... my Mom used to tell me "a fool and his money are soon parted"... oh, wait, she still tells me that!

Regards, KM
Old 20th November 2008, 05:56 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I measured one of the Transcendar 3k 10W transformers today at work and got 17H or so at 120 Hz and 19 H at 1kHz for primary inductance, with ~270 ohms of DC resistance. This is better than the reported inductance for the 125ESE, but not as much as I expected, given the stack size. Maybe I'll lug in one of the 15W, 3k transformers for comparison tomorrow.

Hide this!Advertise here!