• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SE 245 driverstage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will build a powerfull driverstage for my new SE 245 and have the following tubes in my collection

71A-VT25/10Y-56-46-30-31-6SN7GTB-6J5G-27-5842-STC4019A
:D
I will not use a preamp so the gain must be high enough for a cd player input.
What will be the best choice ?
The output transformers are Tribute Amorpe core 5K-16 ohm.
I have also a pair of 5k:5k 50ma interstage transformers laying around.
The speakers I use are the Oris 150 horns with AER drivers:)

The 45 triode is not overly difficult to drive. It's quite easy to obtain a little over 2-watts output without stressing the tube. The driver stage can be RC-coupled, but ensure you have a decent driver current. I use ~2.8ma on the driver and get a flat response to about 45KHz within 1dB (with a good OPT). You also want to ensure it can provide a minimum of 150 volts peak-to-peak to ensure you stay in a more linear operating range.

I've done several designs using the 45 in single-ended mode. One of my designs has fairly high gain, ~250mv input for 1-watt output and can easily be used with any decent line-level source. After working with multiple twin triodes, I finally settled on a 5814A (commercial version of a 12AU7). The reasons for this were:

- lowest output noise from the input/driver
- best overall linearity
- lowest distortion
- wide bandwidth
- AC filament operation
- filament to cathode voltage rating exceeds driver stage requirements
- excellent NOS versions are easily obtained

The stages are direct-coupled, first stage biased at 1ma and the second stage biased at 2.8ma. Overall gain for the input/driver is ~150 volts per volt or ~43dB. It will vary a bit based on the particular tube (zero feedback) and can swing 150 volts pk-pk output without any clipping.

For the output stage, I prefer self-bias and AC filaments for the 45. Don't use a grid resistor larger than 250K. Preferred bias current is 34ma and a plate load of 5K. I used a bit higher voltage which resulted in 60 volts of self-bias and about 295 volts cathode to plate. With a good 45 you can get a solid 2.25-watts output.

With an AC filament (and a good 45) S/N is more than 85dB below 1-watt output. Note that not all 45s will do this well. I've not found any balloon 45s (aka 245/345) to be this good. I developed a unique balance arrangement (as I've never seen any other design like it to date) where I use a fixed DC balance and an adjustable AC balance. I have found this to provide much better hum balance and eliminate any need for a DC filament (again, assumes good quality 45s).

So, that's my input... sorry it doesn't match one of your driver tubes... but a pair of 6J5s would probably work well in the same topology. Of course, just my $0.02.

Regards, KM

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A single 5842 per channel will make an extremely linear driver, particularly when CCS or choke loaded, rp is a scant 2K or so, and there is sufficient gain for a cd player or indeed most lower level line sources.

Depending on the primary inductance of your IT it could be that this is a match made in heaven for the 5842. (Watch out for ultrasonic resonances.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.