• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12ax7 srpp dac output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Google brought me here: I'm looking for a new output stage for my TDA1541. I'm using a 28 Ohm I/v resistor with a 6211 SRPP. I am deeply in love with the sound but seriously lack gain. The 6211 is extremely microphonic btw. I was looking for tubes with a mu of around 100 and the 6N2P seemed a good candidate. After reading this the D3a seems a better choice, but I haven't made up my mind yet :dunno:

Source impedance with an SRPP using tubes with high rp will be excessively high. Depending on implementation the impedance could approach almost half of the tube's rp, but typically will be at least 20% of it. A mu follower would give you both more gain (maybe up to 6dB more) and a much lower output impedance. High transconductance types like the D3A are your friend because of their low rp - crank lots of current through them..

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Source impedance with an SRPP using tubes with high rp will be excessively high. Depending on implementation the impedance could approach almost half of the tube's rp, but typically will be at least 20% of it. A mu follower would give you both more gain (maybe up to 6dB more) and a much lower output impedance. High transconductance types like the D3A are your friend because of their low rp - crank lots of current through them..

I'd say forget the 12AX7 SRPP for this application, forget a mu-follower using the same valve as well.
A D3A based circuit is much, much better if you can source the valve.

Other than that, and I haven't really looked into it, an Aikido topology using a valve with a mu of 40 (a la E80CC, 6085) could be a tempting alternative perhaps.

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.