12ax7 srpp dac output - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2008, 08:10 PM   #11
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli Duttman

Kevin,

Would choke loading a 'SN7 SRPP with something like a MagneQuest EXO-99 and buffering it with an IRFBC20 alter the calculus? All possible gain would be realized and linearity is (naturally) a given.

Hi Eli,
I have actually used a very similar circuit to drive 2A3 without the mosfet, it actually behaves like a mu-follower, but bass performance is very dependent on the available inductance. I was using 100H MQ chokes and found that something higher than that would be better still - I don't think 200H is overkill, but since I also used the dcr of the choke to bias the upper tube high value chokes aren't that practical. The gain however is still only 20 (even with a mosfet buffer) which is useful for driving a 2A3, but not enough here.
Old 11th December 2008, 08:22 PM   #12
devas is offline devas  France
diyAudio Member

thanks indeed Karsten for the link !

I'll try it as soon as possible and will report about the result and the diysupply option too.
Old 12th December 2008, 12:32 PM   #13
JC951t is offline JC951t  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi Devas,
Could you tell me the sound of the 6n2p pls.
Also did you bypass the dac pin with 2.2uf caps
as Lukasz suggested ?

Thanks
Old 12th December 2008, 03:47 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I haven't done mods in the Satch Dac but for the output caps, as I consider that it works well enough as it is. The only thing I had in mind was to implement a Tentlabs Dac clock.

As I said before the 6n2p circuit sounded to me crispier and thinner than the other tubes I had tried, perhaps even crispier that the op-amp option. All my tests were made with EZ80 tube rectifier of different brands, the change of this latter affects the sound a lot.
With a classic i/u resistor of 22/33 ohms I had to put the darkest ez80 (Siemens or Sylvania) to get the balance right.
With 100 ohms I had to put the brightest ez80 (Tungsram) and it was still on the dark side.

It's not bad but I don't consider it worthwhile on my system for sense of detail,balance and tone appeared better to me with the d3a or the op-amp configuration. But this is just my opinion.
Old 12th December 2008, 04:05 PM   #15
JC951t is offline JC951t  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Hi devas,

Thanks for your reply. So, you're still running
OS with the Satch & not in NOS mode ?
Old 12th December 2008, 05:06 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yes I tried in NOS configuration and found that there was less air between instruments and definitely prefer the soundstage in OS.

Before the Satch I had a tda1545 Monica with a tube output stage and tried to convert with all my heart to the religion of NOS but I think I'm still a non believer of unique truth and rather always open to enlighted contradictions...
Old 12th December 2008, 10:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

If you want to use an SRPP circuit for this kind of application the 6DJ8 is a pretty good candidate.

It does I/V conversion nicely and still has enough gain left (considering the SRPP topology).
Load it so you force current flow with say a 1K bleeding resistor at the output , or determine by circuit analysis if you can and you should have low enough Zout with reasonable distortion figures.

After that I'd recommend (as usual) a well regulated, neutral sounding PSU, for best results since all SRPP circuits have low PSRR.

The TDA 1541 provides good symbiosis so results should be sonically pleasing...for a DAC.

Another option is to use a //ed 6DJ8 and CCS that with a J-Fet or similar constant current diode around 30ma with a regged B+ of 24VDC.
Zout will probably be higher than the SRPP circuit but gain will higher too.
One of the advantages of this circuit is that you won't need a raw B+ higher than 40V which allows for used of top of the bill SS* components in the rails. (* Did I just write this?)
I'd need to look at the actual numbers as I'm just writing this from long term memory storage....

Cheers,
Old 13th December 2008, 09:57 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hallo,
anyone have experience with AD1865?
Any suggestion?
My best result was with Aikido with 6n1 and 6h6, but I need a bit more gain.
My best result with Tda1545 was with active I/V with ECC86 and LM334 CCS but the current of AD1856 is too low.
Ciao
Guglielmo
Italy
Old 4th February 2009, 12:30 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Devas, any new insight into the new UTS option on Satch?

Grateful if you could share....
Old 28th April 2010, 02:42 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Google brought me here: I'm looking for a new output stage for my TDA1541. I'm using a 28 Ohm I/v resistor with a 6211 SRPP. I am deeply in love with the sound but seriously lack gain. The 6211 is extremely microphonic btw. I was looking for tubes with a mu of around 100 and the 6N2P seemed a good candidate. After reading this the D3a seems a better choice, but I haven't made up my mind yet

Hide this!Advertise here!