• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Speakers for Flea Powered Amps <1.5W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 0.9W 12B4 amp and soon a 1626 Darling. I can run the 12B4 into some 92dB Polk 5B's that I've had forever and it sounds dang nice, but of course it's not getting anywhere near loud. Same goes for running it into my Pi Two Towers at 96dB--although here it gets plently loud for 99% of my listening. Both of these are essentially two ways with single order xovers.

For those of you with amps that run at 1.5W or less, what speakers do you prefer and why?

I have a relatively powerful Hawthorne Spud amp (2.5Wpc?) and have a few pairs of compatible speakers.

The Loth X BS1 is a really efficient stand mount which can sound great in the right room and awful in the wrong room. The Spud drove these as loud as I would need but the speakers were just not right for my room.

I've had far better results with Tannoy Little Red Monitors. These speakers can really kick with a powerful amp (>100Wpc) but have an airy beauty with the little Spud. They are sensitive enough to go loud with only 2.5Wpc. The big driver adds a bit of weight and warmth to the bottom end which compliments the open top end really nicely. Mids are very transparent too.

Last but not least I have some Fostex FE207E / Eminence Alpha 15a open baffles. I need to rebuild the crossovers so haven't yet tried them with the Spud, but on paper these could also be a winner...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.