Opinions on Allen & Bradley Carbon Composite resistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2008, 02:19 PM   #1
rtsang is offline rtsang  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default Opinions on Allen & Bradley Carbon Composite resistors

Dear all,

Just want to solicit you opinions on using AB Carbon Comp as plate resistor and cathode resistor
Assume I can match them from a big lot.

I read some people think they are musical, but others think they are noisy.
Any precautions when I use them?

They seems to be a bargain when compared to the other boutique resistors.

Regards,

Raymond
Old 13th November 2008, 02:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just FYI, I am unable to recreate a 1/f noise generator that Walt Jung and I published in 1982 because it seems that AB has improved something in their CC resistors. In the past the excess noise was bad enough that you could make a nice "perfect" pink noise generator without any RC networks!
Old 13th November 2008, 02:37 PM   #3
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you building a guitar amplifier? ... or HiFi?

Old 13th November 2008, 02:49 PM   #4
rtsang is offline rtsang  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default Audio amp

Does this resistor contribute much to the so called "vintage sound" of those old amps?
My gut feeling would be the caps that were contributing more to this signature sound.

Raymond
Old 13th November 2008, 02:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Many things contribute to the sound in guitar amps... power suppply sag (undersized caps) being one of them.

For HiFi... I would not get near a CC resistor of any sort.

Old 13th November 2008, 03:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poobah
For HiFi... I would not get near a CC resistor of any sort.
A lot of people say and think that. A lot of people swear by (not at) the sonics of the coveted Mercury and RCA recordings of the 60's that were produced with electronics that were filled with carbon resistors and paper/wax capacitors. (called condensers back then) And yes, they were much newer back then when in use.

I think that NOS Allen Bradleys from the 70's and later are good resistors. But only AB's of that vintage. Older parts are not good, because of drift and noise, and other makes like IRC or Stackpole are inferior. A possible exception may be the later Ohmites. I use them in higher level stages and power supplies. (I have thousands) For low level stages, stick with the better films or even wirewounds.

Victor
Old 13th November 2008, 04:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

HollowState,

I have read plausible arguments that the voltage coefficients in CC can actually cancel other non-linearities in tube amps... and that does indeed make sense. Keep in mind, conservative design with CC's meant grossly oversizing them... thus minimizing their "gift".

I fiddle with guitar amps and such... and make it a point to put in CC's... running hot as hell. I don't listen much to power and speaker cables... but the "sound" of CC's is a real thing.
Old 14th November 2008, 12:07 AM   #8
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poobah

I fiddle with guitar amps and such... and make it a point to put in CC's... running hot as hell. I don't listen much to power and speaker cables... but the "sound" of CC's is a real thing.
But Which CC's are actually the best in guitar amps?

I used AB's on several builds, and could not detect any difference between those and the latestOhmite Lil Demons

Givin the cost differences, Ohmites seem like a bargain.
Old 14th November 2008, 01:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

AB's CC resistors are a nice recipe against "digitalitis".
Always concert hall sweet and never strident to the ear much like the older copper lead Hoco resistors.

I very much question their neutrality though.

Cheers,
Old 14th November 2008, 02:03 AM   #10
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

I've read recommendation (Thorsten I think ) of "baking" them in an oven for short time 150C to stabilize parameters but I don't know specifics. I saw a picture of Shindo gear (WE300 LTD) built exlusively with vintage 2W AB resistors. I did not have a chance to listen to any of Shindos but reviews say they sound anything like vintage .Design around the parts seems to matter more . I could never understand notion of using "bright" component to tame "dull" one (so called synergy in simplified view).
Regards, L

Hide this!Advertise here!