Mikael Abdellah's SE KT88 bass response + tightness - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2008, 01:52 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Default Mikael Abdellah's SE KT88 bass response + tightness

Hi,
I'm pretty set with a push-pull EL84/6V6 type amp to listen to rock, but I was also wondering about this:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Schemati...-Amplifier.htm
Will the "kick" and bass be solid enough for rock and roll? I don't listen to anything harder than Led Zeppelin.

Cheers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 09:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Virginia
Default Re: Mikael Abdellah's SE KT88 bass response + tightness

Quote:
Originally posted by rockgardenlove
Hi,
I'm pretty set with a push-pull EL84/6V6 type amp to listen to rock, but I was also wondering about this:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Schemati...-Amplifier.htm
Will the "kick" and bass be solid enough for rock and roll? I don't listen to anything harder than Led Zeppelin.

Cheers!

I`ve been using my version of this amp for a couple of years now and have been very happy with it. I run a pair of 91db 3 ways or a pair of 90db 2 ways and it will play as loud as i can stand in my 18 by 12 room.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1327024/KT88amp.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 09:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Virginia
Default Re: Re: Mikael Abdellah's SE KT88 bass response + tightness

Quote:
Originally posted by castlesteve



I`ve been using my version of this amp for a couple of years now and have been very happy with it. I run a pair of 91db 3 ways or a pair of 90db 2 ways and it will play as loud as i can stand in my 18 by 12 room.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-...24/KT88amp.jpg

Forgot to add that it has had some great reviews by people attending the Bottlehead meets i attend.
Regards, Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 09:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Thanks for the post. So you'd say there's enough kick in it for rock and roll?

I'm just worried about what people have said about SE amps being too 'airy' and low in bass. Before I spend the money I'd like to make sure it's punchy enough.

Thanks again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 10:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Virginia
Default KT88 amp

Quote:
Originally posted by rockgardenlove
Thanks for the post. So you'd say there's enough kick in it for rock and roll?

I'm just worried about what people have said about SE amps being too 'airy' and low in bass. Before I spend the money I'd like to make sure it's punchy enough.

Thanks again!

Depends on what speakers your using. If all you listen to is rock and roll i`d probably do a push pull like one of the el84 amps off the board.
Steve.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 10:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Well, my music range ranges from folky stuff to nothing heavier than Led Zeppelin, so yeah. I dunno, hah.

More opinions welcome!
Cheers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 12:27 AM   #7
alexg is offline alexg  Philippines
diyAudio Member
 
alexg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philippines
I have built a few of these amps and I am using one myself.

I did the built that was featured at the diyaudioprojects.com (Gio's site).

I have paired this amp only with high sensitivity Fostex, Corals and Beymas, and the bass is very, very tight. Better than my Audiospace KT88 PP amp.

This amp does not sound good with speakers with sensitivity lower than 90db.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 01:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by alexg
I have built a few of these amps and I am using one myself.

I did the built that was featured at the diyaudioprojects.com (Gio's site).

I have paired this amp only with high sensitivity Fostex, Corals and Beymas, and the bass is very, very tight. Better than my Audiospace KT88 PP amp.

This amp does not sound good with speakers with sensitivity lower than 90db.


Yes i like the bass also and have played speakers from 87db and up. I think it really depends more on the impedence plot of the speakers more than the efficiency.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 01:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N. Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by rockgardenlove
Well, my music range ranges from folky stuff to nothing heavier than Led Zeppelin, so yeah. I dunno, hah.

More opinions welcome!
Cheers!

You could try asking if there`s anyone near to you who has built one of these amps as they have been a popular project for quite a few people. What speakers are you proposing to use.?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 02:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Hmm, interesting, thanks.

I was planning to buy some speakers from Goodwill for starters, just because of money. Not just some junk, but some big old ones that look semi reputable. Haha. How likely is this to fail?

Alternatively, does anybody know of any good DIY speakers for less than 150?

Cheers!
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mikael Abdellah's kt88, (LOADLINES) soundbadger Tubes / Valves 6 3rd January 2012 02:30 AM
Stereo build- Mikael Abdellah's KT88 SE amp porkchop61 Tubes / Valves 119 3rd April 2011 05:41 AM
6CA7 Mikael Abdellah's KT88 SE amp? porkchop61 Tubes / Valves 24 20th February 2011 03:31 PM
Improvements for the Mikael Abdellah KT88??? 69CamaroSS396 Tubes / Valves 42 16th December 2009 01:58 AM
Mikael Abdellah SE KT88 ideas and questions kacernator Tubes / Valves 6 14th January 2008 01:09 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:09 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2