• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6L6GC AB2 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am Assuming that AB2 implies triode operation.
AB implies fixed bias.

IIRC, the recommended operating point was 10 ma and 450V

My next step would be to pick the primary impedance for the output transformer.

After choosing an output Transformer, Next step is to determine the input voltage swing on the 6l6 for full output.

This nails down most of what we need to know about the output stage.

TUBECAD PP calculator may be very handy for both choices.

HTH

Doug

chrish said:
I am interested in progressing with this design, looking for any assistance ;)

Hi Chris,
If you really want the efficiency of P-P class AB2, you will need a very good output transformer. One that is well designed and has very tight coupling between windings because crossover distortion could well become a problem as you leave AB1 and come closer to class B. AB2 is somewhere between these two. You'll be able to see it on a sine wave with an oscilloscope across the output of the amp as you adjust the bias more negative.

McIntosh ran their amps in AB2 but avoided crossover distortion through the use of a very complex bifiliar wound transformer with lots of feedback in the output stage, by way of the cathode windings, as well as to the driver stage and also global. Without a super-duper output transformer and plenty of feedback you may come to find that the sound is not so good compaired to AB1 which most transformers are rated for. It is always said that the O-T is the most important part of a tube amplifier. Well, that's even more so with AB2.

Victor

Thanks for the input so far...

I am not "set" on AB2, it is just that Eli suggested this as an interesting possible design on another thread.

I am just about at the end of my academic year with my university work (mature age student doing university degree and full time job) and will have a little time to work on audio projects when my final exams for the year are finished in a few days.

I have collected so far a pair of Tamura F-684 output transformers, so these will be the basis of the design. Specs are 6.6K primary, 0-4-8-16 Ohm secondary, 150mA x 2 max DC current, freq response 30-30K, 3rd 16 Ohm winding for NFB. Here is a link to the PDF Tamura output transformer data sheet

Eli linked here Eli suggestions to 'Mosfet follies' and Tubelab's 'Power Drive' circuits (sorry, in India with work and the crappy hotel internet connection here wont link to those sites) as interesting suggestions. Tubelab's experiments with power drive look promising. I am no engineer, but from my reading it looks like he gets good results, with lower distortion at lower power levels and the advantage of the ability to absorb high transient music loads without clipping (have I got this right?).

The output iron is a given, it has already been purchased, so the design will have to start from here. I have also:
Russian 6SN7
Russian 6SL7
6N1P-EV
6N2P-EV
6N6P-I (ECC99 equiv)
2 x Mullard built ECC81
4 x JAN (GE) 12AT7WC
8 x Russian 6P3S
8 x Russian 6P3S-E

2 x Aluminium chassis

Happy to buy other valves if required, just listing what I have if this helps. Have yet to purchase power transformers. Waiting to find/design a topology before this purchase.

BTW, I am not an engineer. Can solder and do chassis work, but will need gentle guidance with any design.

Thanks again, hope there are others interested in a project like this. I am looking forward to getting in to it!

Cheers,

Chris

Re: Re: 6L6GC AB2 Amp

HollowState said:

If you really want the efficiency of P-P class AB2, you will need a very good output transformer. One that is well designed and has very tight coupling between windings because crossover distortion could well become a problem as you leave AB1 and come closer to class B. AB2 is somewhere between these two. You'll be able to see it on a sine wave with an oscilloscope across the output of the amp as you adjust the bias more negative.

McIntosh ran their amps in AB2 but avoided crossover distortion through the use of a very complex bifiliar wound transformer with lots of feedback in the output stage, by way of the cathode windings, as well as to the driver stage and also global. Without a super-duper output transformer and plenty of feedback you may come to find that the sound is not so good compaired to AB1 which most transformers are rated for. It is always said that the O-T is the most important part of a tube amplifier. Well, that's even more so with AB2.

What about something like a Crowhurst twin-coupled configuration? That design proposes simple output transformers, as feedback is taken from the primary side of the OPT.

In my infinite spare time, I've been given thought to this topology, but with something like tubelab's PowerDrive to support AB2. I don't have an approach yet on how to adapt the design to PP, however.

Also, a question on the post above. I thought AB2 was when the tube's grid is driven positive. I had read that when this happens, the grid impedance suddenly drops, and unless the driving stage is designed with adequate capabilities, gird current starvation can result. Is there something else about AB2 mode that results in worse crossover distortion than plain old AB?

Thanks!

Re: Re: Re: 6L6GC AB2 Amp

weinstro said:
Also, a question on the post above. I thought AB2 was when the tube's grid is driven positive. I had read that when this happens, the grid impedance suddenly drops, and unless the driving stage is designed with adequate capabilities, gird current starvation can result. Is there something else about AB2 mode that results in worse crossover distortion than plain old AB?

The '2' means that the grids ARE driven positive and grid current will flow. An output stage in which there is grid current such as AB2 or B must be transformer coupled instead of R-C coupled. If R-C coupling IS used the grid behaves like the plate of a diode and rectifies some of the audio signal which makes the grids more negative. Instead of class AB2 you would have a kind of moving class AB1 and a lot more distortion than you had counted on. If you were to attempt class B with R-C coupling, the extra grid bias could actually bias the tubes beyond cutoff and lead to heavy distortion. The rise in average, DC, plate current may be anywhere from 50 % to 200 %.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 6L6GC AB2 Amp

N1ESE said:
The '2' means that the grids ARE driven positive and grid current will flow. An output stage in which there is grid current such as AB2 or B must be transformer coupled instead of R-C coupled. If R-C coupling IS used the grid behaves like the plate of a diode and rectifies some of the audio signal which makes the grids more negative. Instead of class AB2 you would have a kind of moving class AB1 and a lot more distortion than you had counted on. If you were to attempt class B with R-C coupling, the extra grid bias could actually bias the tubes beyond cutoff and lead to heavy distortion. The rise in average, DC, plate current may be anywhere from 50 % to 200 %.

I'm not sure that's it; I think HollowState is talking about something else, since we are discussing DC coupling via source followers, not transformer coupling or RC coupling.

I am SO interested because I am thinking about an A2 6L6 SET myself.

Victor, are you sure you aren't confusing AB2 with a unity-coupled output stage?

AB2 could have high quiescent currents if you set it up that way. In fact, it could be only slightly different than A2.

An output stage in which there is grid current such as AB2 or B must be transformer coupled instead of R-C coupled

...or DC coupled as from a follower stage

Is there something else about AB2 mode that results in worse crossover distortion than plain old AB?

No.

This is correct- a very low impedance driver is needed because of the drastic change in grid impedance at the drive signal approaches then exceeds zero volts between cathode and grid. In the old days, a transformer or cathode follower was used. Nowadays, even us old die-hard tube guys have to admit that a source follower does better. I've been using them in AB2 drive without seeing anything like crossover distortion. And likewise, I've used them in screen drive, which is even more demanding of the driver.

The advantage of a follower over a transformer, besides bandwidth and lower source impedance and distortion is that it's not a stepdown. This reduces the distortion of the driving stage. It's a win-win.

The '2' means that the grids ARE driven positive and grid current will flow. An output stage in which there is grid current such as AB2 or B must be transformer coupled instead of R-C coupled.

Not RC coupled is correct, but only an interstage transformer is too restrictive. A voltage follower DC coupled to the O/P tube control grid is perfectly satisfactory, as it has the requisite low impedance and high current. FWIW, I like the IRFBC20 MOSFET for its low reverse transfer capacitance and excellent current handling capability. The high transconductance is nice too.

Chris,

The Tamura F-684 is rated for only 30 W. :( You will not be able to go "whole hog" with this idea. UL mode "finals" operating in Class "AB1" should work out for you. Triode wired Class "AB2" is a possibility.

DC coupled MOSFET drive can be a distinct plus in an "AB1" amp. There are ZERO worries about blocking distortion. :D

SpreadSpectrum said:
Victor, are you sure you aren't confusing AB2 with a unity-coupled output stage?

Not really. Unity coupling is just a term meant to describe the way the output stage is coupled through both the anode and cathode equally and tightly...thus in unity. It does not, in itself, determine class of operation.

Is there something else about AB2 mode that results in worse crossover distortion than plain old AB?

Yes. It has to do with how much of the cycle a tube is conducting or is cut-off. In class A the tube is biased so that plate current flows constantly for the entire cycle. In class B the tube is biased at or near cut-off and plate current flows during the positive ½ cycle only. In between these two is class AB. it is biased so that plate current flows for more then half, but less then the entire cycle.

Class AB operation may be subdivided into classes AB1 and AB2. Subnumber 1 indicates that no grid current flows during any part of the cycle. Subnumber 2 indicates that grid current does flow during some portion of the input cycle.

Now it should be realized that the positive peaks that produce grid current also have negative peaks that extend the cut-off period. In a push-pull transformer coupled circuit, it is this extended off time during the cycle's transition that produces greater crossover distortion. In transformer-less circuits (like SS) it is often refered to as notch distortion.

Victor

The first thing I will do is admit that much of this is above by head!

I understand that the transformer I have is limited to 30 watts. I don't think that a 30 watt maximum is going to be a real limitation regarding my speakers etc. Not so interested in ultimate power output, wanting good quality...

Anyway, Eli, I am sure that your advice is sound. That is why I am asking on these forums ;) So AB1 UL 6L6 output, IFRBC20 mosfet follower, ECC99 LTP, driven by 12AT7? Will have to wait till I get home to consult Morgan as I am a bit clueless as to how to set this all up :) ...

Thanks so far, I am glad this appears to attracting some interest. I am hoping there are others wanting to start a similar project to share the development questions and answers!

Cheers,

Chris

In a push-pull transformer coupled circuit, it is this extended off time during the cycle's transition that produces greater crossover distortion.

Couldn't disagree more. If both tubes are conducting through and around the zero crossing, there's no crossover distortion. If you have a distortion analyzer that shows residual, it's easy to see the effect of underbiasing and proper biasing. The glitch at zero crossing just isn't there when the amp is biased properly in AB.

SY said:
Couldn't disagree more. If both tubes are conducting through and around the zero crossing, there's no crossover distortion. If you have a distortion analyzer that shows residual, it's easy to see the effect of underbiasing and proper biasing. The glitch at zero crossing just isn't there when the amp is biased properly in AB.

For the condition you have stated above (biased properly in AB and conducting through and around zero) you are correct. But you have missed my point. Class AB2 is a lot closer to class B, especially on strong peaks, then it is to A. A cheap O-T with less then the best coupling may perform poorly at this level. That is my point. Not that it can't or won't work. BTW, clipping is also greater in class AB2 operation then class AB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.