• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Want to Build my first Tube Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Want to Build my firs Tube Amp

Hi guys, i want to build my first Pass Labs Amp and an tube amp, i just build and Chipamps and im very happy with the sound.

but i want to still learning and want to build some Simple amps SolidState/Passlab and an tube amp too.

Hope someone can recommend me some schematics to build. i will make the PCBs myself!

Thanks in advance
Jose

What to build??

Jose:
So what are you expecting to learn from building a tube amp?
The choices are truely endless, from the simple to the complex.
Perhaps you should start out with a straightforward Single ended two, maybe three stage tube amp. My choice would be a 2A3 single ended, tube rectifyed...not too spendy on the output transformers.
I'm still trying to find a manufacturer here (Mar del Plata) who will custom wind transformers......I dropped an E-mail at Kaizen Electronica, B.A.(Transformer makers) but haven't heard anything from them.
________________________________________________Rick.....

I'm also in the camp for a DHT SET amp, point-to-point wiring. Makes a nice project amp, can sound exceptional, with the right system setup. I tend to prefer the 45 in most cases, albeit 3dB less than the 2A3, but they can also be quieter with AC filaments (which I prefer).

Before making yet another recommendation, an idea on what your price point is would be helpful and what other equipment you plan to use this with. Before diving into the SET waters, the speakers you plan on using will have a lot to do with how compatible things well be. SETs typically favor higher sensitivity single full-range drivers which have a mild impedance curve and don't require a high damping factor to maintain control.

If you decide on an SET, I have a nice simple design I did earlier this year and posted on the DIY forums... PDFs for schematics (both 45 and 2A3) are available with a BOM.

Regards, KM

I'm still trying to find a manufacturer here (Mar del Plata) who will custom wind transformers......I dropped an E-mail at Kaizen Electronica, B.A.(Transformer makers) but haven't heard anything from them.

Hi Richard,

I have the same problem but maybe even worse. I'm in Montevideo and trying to find any parts to build tube amps is mission impossible. Even such simple parts such as a good range of metal film resistors I end up banging my head against the wall.

I just got an Aikido 5687 kit and other parts from USA. My other half travelled and brought them back in her suitcase. The only way here.

also get some parts from UK by post. small packets otherwise customs kill you with charges.

I'm looking for a transformer builder now. Got some contacts but still planning what I need.

Good luck dude

Chris

Re: What to build??

malanga said:
These tube amps are very simple, inexpensive and fun to build:

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblok.htm

http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/mnibl2-1.htm

The SET version is the first tube amp I built.

Will take a look.

ak_47_boy said:
I like point to point style wiring over circuit boards for tubes.

Well, p2p will be an nice option, but im scared to do that, maybe creating an PCB will be the safest choice (never works with tubes yet) :)

Richard Ellis said:
Jose:
So what are you expecting to learn from building a tube amp?
The choices are truely endless, from the simple to the complex.
Perhaps you should start out with a straightforward Single ended two, maybe three stage tube amp. My choice would be a 2A3 single ended, tube rectifyed...not too spendy on the output transformers.
________________________________________________Rick.....

Dear Richard, i just want an simple design, I NEVER listen how an Tube Amp sound :S i just listen some Solid States that i build (kits), and some chipamps tha ti made myself. (and some crap yamaha amp that sound worst than my Chipamps amps :)

In Rosario i know 2 transformers factories, but really dont know how are the specs of the transformers that "we" need for tube amps.

i just used Toroidal ones and normal ones.

kmaier said:
I'm also in the camp for a DHT SET amp, point-to-point wiring. Makes a nice project amp, can sound exceptional, with the right system setup. I tend to prefer the 45 in most cases, albeit 3dB less than the 2A3, but they can also be quieter with AC filaments (which I prefer).

Before making yet another recommendation, an idea on what your price point is would be helpful and what other equipment you plan to use this with. Before diving into the SET waters, the speakers you plan on using will have a lot to do with how compatible things well be. SETs typically favor higher sensitivity single full-range drivers which have a mild impedance curve and don't require a high damping factor to maintain control.

If you decide on an SET, I have a nice simple design I did earlier this year and posted on the DIY forums... PDFs for schematics (both 45 and 2A3) are available with a BOM.

Regards, KM

Price Point less than 1000USD. I dont have some good speakers right now, i sold my B&W 602 s2 because i was run out of money., now i have some Full Range speakers that i made myself using FR125 and these are not very sensitives :( but im planning to build others soon.

Brit01 said:

Hi Richard,

I have the same problem but maybe even worse. I'm in Montevideo and trying to find any parts to build tube amps is mission impossible. Even such simple parts such as a good range of metal film resistors I end up banging my head against the wall.

I just got an Aikido 5687 kit and other parts from USA. My other half travelled and brought them back in her suitcase. The only way here.

also get some parts from UK by post. small packets otherwise customs kill you with charges.

I'm looking for a transformer builder now. Got some contacts but still planning what I need.

Good luck dude

Chris

if tell me some specs of the transformers i can ask here if is possible to build it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.