Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2008, 07:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hickok 600A, shattered mercury rectifier...

Just got this on eBay, and the 83 broke during shipping. So, I put it in the garage until I decide how to proceed!

Fortunately the spill is self-contained inside, but who knows how much of the unit is contaminated. I'm guessing this is thermometer levels of contamination... Should I dust the wood case with zinc powder and clean it up with sticky tape? Follow the basic EPA instructions for small spills? What's the best way to do this?

My concern is that it has probably been shaken up a bit, so the wiring etc could easily be contaminated, too

FedEx claim??? This one was a pretty good deal, too
Old 7th November 2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
sprinkle sulphur on it or something... Although it's probably evaporated by now anyways.

Quicksilver ain't exactly good for you, but elemental Hg isn't that bad... just avoid breathing it.. maybe let it air out or something.. runno.
Old 7th November 2008, 09:39 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quick update: got some gloves and threw the tube and the big glass pieces into a ziplock. Only a 1" diameter hole in the tube, so the total spill is probably on the order of mgs - some clearly remains in the tube. Some fine glass particles and/or Hg blobs are visible at the bottom of the case. I can pick up some zinc or sulfur tomorrow, for the sake of being thorough... But maybe with such low volume I can get the rest with duct tape. Any advice is very welcome!

Hide this!Advertise here!