thyratron rectifier - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2008, 02:44 PM   #21
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave slagle

If you need to get more than the 350V from the 394, you need to limit the current to the grid and I found that a 1K resistor from grid to plate allowed me to go upwards of 600V where I ran out of rotation on my variac. I do think I noticed a change in sound when run this way an I'd be interested if Ginluca would try the different configurations and report back.

dave
That's something to try! Thanks for the tip. I am in the process of building a circlotron and I will again use thyratrons (the bigger WE393As this time) ... I'll avoid the mixed bridge. Soundwise, was it better or worse?
Old 7th November 2008, 05:50 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi Gianluca.

I found that the 393 will not give you any more voltage than the 394 used grid as plate. It essentially behaves as a 394 with double the filament draw. (same goes for the 323) if you need more voltage you need to go to the 287 or the 354.

dave
Old 7th November 2008, 05:58 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I know... I just use them as I found a cheap source for NOS WEs and they are prettier than the smaller 394.

354 is a hell of filament ... 17A, isn't it? I never found one. Large globe tubes are cutier, they are indeed gorgeous. I have 1 NOS globe 866A by RCA ... still looking for a companion.

Gianluca
Old 7th November 2008, 06:36 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

just fired some of these puppies up.... dave

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th November 2008, 07:23 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

AH! LOVELY! Poor guys ... they are using black plastic bugs.
Old 7th November 2008, 07:51 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sunrise
Quote:
Originally posted by coresta
Hi , this is the heart of the systeml . The variable condenser will change the slope of the sinus voltage fed to the grid and thus change the conducting time of the conducting periode of the gas ... exactly the same as an halogen lamp fed by a variable triac "variator"
o.k. - understood - how big i can expect to have that cap....pF, nF, uF...??
i am total idiot related thyratrons......

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr

Coresta is dead right, the left hand transformer provides the grid voltage for firing the tube each half cycle, the phase shift network changes the firing angle so that the half wave output can be "chopped" to vary duty cycle and hence effective power into the load, and the right hand transformer provides the voltage to the load. This is basically a half wave lamp dimmer..

I am not sure whether or not grid and plate should be tied together, I'm just wondering about the dissipation rating of the grid, you are using it in ways for which it was not intended.

ohhh.... so the right transformer is actually the power transformer and the left one is providing the grid bias voltage.........this is still very confusing to me - i must admitt - can somebody draw a schematic with parts values that can be expected for power supply of lets say 200Vdc and using some of the thyratrons mentioned.....323, 394, 354 or something..... the intended current ... lets say 100mA... can somebody do the favour for me PLEASE.....
Old 7th November 2008, 08:25 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise

can somebody draw a schematic with parts values that can be expected for power supply of lets say 200Vdc and using some of the thyratrons mentioned.....323, 394, 354 or something..... the intended current ... lets say 100mA... can somebody do the favour for me PLEASE.....

Hey! Never mind the schematic you posted. Just use the thyratron as you usually do with rectifiers but tie the grid to the hi voltage and leave the plate alone. With a choke input you will need 250V+250V at the secondary of the power tranny (well something near that value ... you know, it depends on a number of factors). You can series connect the filaments to a 5V secondary to heat the thyratrons.

Gianluca
Old 8th November 2008, 07:40 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

so that is just like we use tube rectifiers - only you connect the grid of the thyratron to the high voltage from the transformer...
Old 8th November 2008, 11:28 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sunrise
so that is just like we use tube rectifiers - only you connect the grid of the thyratron to the high voltage from the transformer...
Yes, pretty simple.
Old 8th November 2008, 12:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

thank you

Hide this!Advertise here!