Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2008, 12:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A2 curves and curvecaptor.

Does anybody here know if it is possible to capture A2 curves in curvecaptor? I keep getting really odd results whenever i attempt this.

Ideally i am looking for a LTspice model of an 833A but it would be great to be able ot capture the positive part of the curves

dave
Old 7th November 2008, 12:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I found that I had to take the grid values in a certain order, for example the +4v grid values , then + 2, then 0, then -2 etc. Otherwise the program got confused. And even then when the program plotted the results they looked jumbled up. But, the actual model computed was correct, it was just the graph in curvecaptor that was odd. So I just ignored the graph, and took the models that curvecaptor computed. Of course I checked the models by running curves in spice.

You may want to take the model you get and run some curves in spice to see if this is what is happening in your situation.
Old 7th November 2008, 05:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

hey robert.

Thanks!

I did as you suggested and while the results were not perfect they were at least heading in the right direction. I'll play a bit with the various fit equations to see if that changes anything.

833 curves
Click the image to open in full size.

833 Model in Spice

the two overlapped
Old 7th November 2008, 06:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I really like that 4 Ampere line
Old 7th November 2008, 07:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What does it show for G1 current in A2?
The spice model I mean...

Spec sheet seems to stop cold for all
situations where G1>=Plate. Your curve
captor'd model seems unconcerned.
Old 8th November 2008, 02:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Played around and aside form the one instance where I was drawing 1E26 TA (terra amps i presume) things are looking better. (whats a hundred ma or so between friends)

I only plotted the positive numbers and had to start at 0 and go up to 350 (reordered the original file) and I got the results below. I tried numerous times to add the - bias numbers and it always conked out or gave me wacky results.

dave

Old 8th November 2008, 04:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hey-Hey!!!,
I keep trying to resolve why the triode clan keeps wondering about these grid curent triodes. Their plate curves are sooooo similar to pentodes...
cheers,
Douglas
Old 9th November 2008, 12:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Their plate curves are sooooo similar to pentodes...
At first glance they do, but there are some key differences. One being significant positive slope to the curves and the other being somewhat constant spacing between the curves. The current divisions on this plot are pretty large.

It would be interesting to overlay positive grid triode characteristics and pentode characteristics for a tube like an 813. I think pentode characteristics would give you some pretty horizontal looking lines when plotted on similar axes to the above.
Old 9th November 2008, 01:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

hey-Hey!!!,
But look at the TV sweeps that have plate Z comparable to 211's in A1...
cheers,
cheers,
Douglas
Old 10th November 2008, 02:17 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandersnatch
hey-Hey!!!,
I keep trying to resolve why the triode clan keeps wondering about these grid curent triodes. Their plate curves are sooooo similar to pentodes...
cheers,
Douglas
I have been saying this for years. I can see it now... "get pentode like perfomance and power from a 3 element structure." I will note that the A2 tubes typically do not require feedback to "clean them up"

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!