Different Rectifier Warmup Times - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2008, 12:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Different Rectifier Warmup Times

I used to have a bookmark where all the most common tube rectifier's approximate warmup times were listed. Does anyone have a list they could share or a link to a site? I can't seem to find it googling.

Thanks
Old 5th November 2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

The indirect heated ones have longer warm up times than direct heated.

5AR4 is a good one if you want a longer delay. If I recall right, it's 20-30 seconds.

Damper diodes have a long delay as well, but they only come in single diode per envelope as far as I know.

The only tube rectified amp I have uses 5U4GB which only takes like 5 seconds. Unfortunately the rest of the tubes in the amp aren't conducting yet at that time, so B+ will rise about 100V over the steady-state value, for a short moment after power on.
Old 5th November 2008, 10:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jeb-D.

The reason I ask is that I need to sub in a 6087 or 6106 for my 5Y3GT for the same reason you gave and was curious about those warmup times. I should have asked that in the first post. I know the warmup time for a 5V4G is nearly long enough and only puts my startup voltage about 50-60 volts over idle B+, which is fine except for the 25 extra volts on the B+ at idle that will cause havoc. The 5Y3GT on the other hand peaks the startup voltage at over 200V above idle voltage. It a choke I/P so I realize that there's no enough current draw initially , but I'd just as soon change the rectifier as to add an extra bleeder that's going to make tons of heat or switch the power tube filaments on first (which is still an option at this point).

Like I said, I used to have a whole table of like 30 different rectifiers (direct and indirect) and all their specs. It would be useful for other builds to know what all the options are.

I'll dig some more and see if I can find it.
Old 5th November 2008, 11:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Could a person have his cake and eat it too? Would it be possible to rectify and then use the slow warm up of a single damper diode tube to ramp the B+ on slowly?
Old 6th November 2008, 12:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Are you suggesting using solid state rectifier diodes under the chassis, and put a single damper diode in the rectifier socket? Some re-wiring may be in order, naturally.

What damper diode has the highest current capability?
Old 6th November 2008, 02:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm looking at a 6CJ3 and I believe its rated at 350mA
Old 6th November 2008, 02:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Damper diodes have a long delay as well, but they only come in single diode per envelope as far as I know.
The 6BY5 is dual damper. Only the heater is common to both diodes. As far as dampers go, the 6BY5 is a wimp that's good for (sic) only 175 mA. of continuous DC per section.
Old 6th November 2008, 07:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
Could a person have his cake and eat it too? Would it be possible to rectify and then use the slow warm up of a single damper diode tube to ramp the B+ on slowly?

I was thinking of taking this approach in an amplifier project.
AFAICT,it should work okay,assuming you can find a damper diode that is rated for the current you need,and the voltage drop is acceptable,etc.
I was thinking of putting the damper in series with the rectified B+ line,probably directly after the SS didoes.

I have heard some chatter about people using this method for a slow-start,but have never seen a schematic or anything.
Old 6th November 2008, 08:24 PM   #9
Jeb-D. is offline Jeb-D.  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was thinking of putting the damper in series with the rectified B+ line,probably directly after the SS didoes.
It may be a good idea to place it after the first cap. It will allow the use of a larger value capacitor.
Old 7th November 2008, 01:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
That's true,good point.

Hide this!Advertise here!