stupid question of the day - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2008, 12:51 PM   #1
cjkpkg is offline cjkpkg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default stupid question of the day

I am building the Aikido preamp. This will feed a SimpleSE that I built.

I also want a phono stage which I will eventually build. I would like to integrate it into the chassis for the Aikido. So, my question is, do I process the output of the phono stage through the Aikido preamp? OR does the output of the phono stage go directly to the power amp?

I tried to search this one and found no direct answer.

Thanks
Carl
Old 5th November 2008, 01:02 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Generally, you'd run the phono stage through the line amp, too. You'll need to be able to control volume and switch sources, which is the function of the line amp.
Old 5th November 2008, 05:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I think you'll find that the Simple SE provides plenty of gain to do without a preamp stage. I used an LiteAudio ls7b pre attached the Simple and it just was way too much gain. To each their own though right?

In my case I just use a stepped attenuator with a channel selector which works great. My phono amp could probably use a bit of help, but it does fine without the preamp. I could possible use a preamp, but I would want to have a fixed attenuator to cool off the hot signal coming from the ls7b.

To contrast, I have a Marantz 8b and Diytube ST35 amps that seem to like the preamp, but they can get by without it as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!