• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

stupid question of the day

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building the Aikido preamp. This will feed a SimpleSE that I built.

I also want a phono stage which I will eventually build. I would like to integrate it into the chassis for the Aikido. So, my question is, do I process the output of the phono stage through the Aikido preamp? OR does the output of the phono stage go directly to the power amp?

I tried to search this one and found no direct answer.

Thanks
Carl

I think you'll find that the Simple SE provides plenty of gain to do without a preamp stage. I used an LiteAudio ls7b pre attached the Simple and it just was way too much gain. To each their own though right?

In my case I just use a stepped attenuator with a channel selector which works great. My phono amp could probably use a bit of help, but it does fine without the preamp. I could possible use a preamp, but I would want to have a fixed attenuator to cool off the hot signal coming from the ls7b.

To contrast, I have a Marantz 8b and Diytube ST35 amps that seem to like the preamp, but they can get by without it as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.