Looking for parts to tinker with - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 06:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Default Looking for parts to tinker with

I'm building an amp and I'd like to buy a set of transformers that are pretty open ended when it comes to their use.

What's a good power transformer that I'll be able to use to mess around with and use when I finally decide quite what design I want? What voltage and current rating would be common for a no higher than 20 watt push pull amplifier?

Also I'm not sure yet on if I will want to do single ended or push pull. Is there any way to be able to demo a single ended or push pull easily just to get a flavor for both before I spend a bunch o' cash?

  Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 02:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Richard Ellis's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Wow loaded questions..
Usually when one is making an amp you settle with the amp design itself (schematic) with the voltages set already. THEN you do the Power supply. That said, you could find a straight forward design you want...that has all the "features you want. Having the amp design in hand then you would go forward with the PS...& then you really can go nuts building the PS. remember an amp is only as good as its power supply.
There are simple PS designs, but I believe a great supply will really make an amp shine.
You need to narrow down the design of your PS.
Do you want:
Tube rectifyed
SS rectifyed
Choke input smoothed
Plain Cap smoothed
Myself I go choke input smoothed, snubber network, bleeders.
Regulated for heaters (DC) on input stage, AC for outputs.
Remember for choke input types its' .9 of RMS rating
and plain C" it is 1.41 of RMS rating. That gives you some 'range' of voltages to play with.
____________________________________________Rick.. ......
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 03:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
kstagger's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Grand Rapids
I use a big HP 0-500VDC/200mA regulator for prototyping. It has enough current for just about anything I want to build (at least in mono).

If you don't want to use a regulator, you will have to find a power transformer where the ratings fall in your ballpark. You can then adjust the final voltage depending on the circuit use - choke input/cap input/bridge/tube rectified/solid-state rectified/etc. Add some current for margins. Play around with PSUD2 to get some idea of what will work.
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: RGR Model IV parts or parts unit dnewma04 Swap Meet 2 1st January 2010 09:00 PM
Hack or tinker ? -- a great article ! jackinnj Everything Else 2 7th September 2004 07:16 PM
PARTS PARTS PARTS!!! Infocus Powerview 820, triplet, ballast, light, power supply!!! marioinla Swap Meet 1 31st August 2004 04:22 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2