• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for parts to tinker with

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm building an amp and I'd like to buy a set of transformers that are pretty open ended when it comes to their use.

What's a good power transformer that I'll be able to use to mess around with and use when I finally decide quite what design I want? What voltage and current rating would be common for a no higher than 20 watt push pull amplifier?

Also I'm not sure yet on if I will want to do single ended or push pull. Is there any way to be able to demo a single ended or push pull easily just to get a flavor for both before I spend a bunch o' cash?

Thanks!

Wow loaded questions..
Usually when one is making an amp you settle with the amp design itself (schematic) with the voltages set already. THEN you do the Power supply. That said, you could find a straight forward design you want...that has all the "features you want. Having the amp design in hand then you would go forward with the PS...& then you really can go nuts building the PS. remember an amp is only as good as its power supply.
There are simple PS designs, but I believe a great supply will really make an amp shine.
You need to narrow down the design of your PS.
Do you want:
Tube rectifyed
SS rectifyed
Choke input smoothed
Plain Cap smoothed
Regulated
Myself I go choke input smoothed, snubber network, bleeders.
Regulated for heaters (DC) on input stage, AC for outputs.
Remember for choke input types its' .9 of RMS rating
and plain C" it is 1.41 of RMS rating. That gives you some 'range' of voltages to play with.
____________________________________________Rick........

I use a big HP 0-500VDC/200mA regulator for prototyping. It has enough current for just about anything I want to build (at least in mono).

If you don't want to use a regulator, you will have to find a power transformer where the ratings fall in your ballpark. You can then adjust the final voltage depending on the circuit use - choke input/cap input/bridge/tube rectified/solid-state rectified/etc. Add some current for margins. Play around with PSUD2 to get some idea of what will work.
http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.