• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6H30Pi variants

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Glad to meet you,TG!

Ehm.....finally,someone out there KNOWS what's really happening....
During these (too many!) years,I encountered a sturdy opposition each time when I dared to recommend some Russian-made tubes.Things are,though,changing,because in real life advertising a product doesn't save the product itself from poor qualities.
Maybe someone would say that I'm getting off topic,but it's time to move on and speak loudly about some obvious facts.
I had countless frustrations when,achieving unexpectedly good results with some NOS Russian-made tubes,the people's stupid reaction was to instantly discard the product,no matter what they heard,just because they saw some "unknown" or "odd" tubes on the chassis...
On the other hand,what about the japanese Counterpoint preamps?
They used for years ONLY Russian versions of ECC88...more than that,they always recomended that any tube substitution should be made EXCLUSIVELY with their samples!
Since I mentioned Counterpoint,let's be sincere:the Russian ECC 88 is my last option for this type of tube (though it's extremely reliable,the sound is far from my taste,because IT YELLS!),but,if we impartially analyze the overall sound,the major problem is that stupid stabilized power supply.Obviously,someone there studied electronics a little too much,forgeting other imperatives...
Another case in point:did you ever repaired a Mesa-Boogie guitar amp?Well,if you didn't,I can tell you that these amps had,almost invariably,some "Mesa"-stamped ECC 83's,of a very poor quality.
On a close inspection,they turn out to be Russian-made,but imported,"selected" and stamped with western logos.
The point I'd like to emphasise is this:do not judge the appearences and try to get some original Russian tubes,made before 80s.THIS is the real thing,competes with any other over-priced western product,in most cases has a better behaviour and performance.
Use your common sense!
Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.