• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6H30Pi variants

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
RE:6H30Pi variants.

Hi,

6H30Pi - EH : normally EH is a suffix used by Electro Harmonix.

To the best of my knowledge they never carried it though so I wonder who's been rebranding those.

6H30Pi - EB : The EB suffix used on Russian tubes indicates special quality such as long life, extra ruggedized etc.

6H30Pi - DR : here's a datasheet:

TUBES.RU

Cheers,;)

Re: NJET.

fdegrove said:
Interesting...Do you mind telling us more?

You're welcome :)
Old Soviet 6N30P-DRs were intended for military use ONLY. That's why they have much more rugged construction and closer tolerance than present "consumer" tubes... "Oldies" have lower Rp, higher linearity and can easily handle their 8W dissipation. They also sound much better :)...
As for me, new Sovtek ones have somewhat "transistor-like" sound :(

Brett said:
Most of the ones I've used are older, but they're getting harder to get. Do you have a source? I'd like a dozen or so.

I live in the country wich was a former Soviet republic, so sometimes I have a chance to get several tubes... To collect a dozen, one has to live here for about 5 years, I'm afraid :)
And I believe that original 6N30P-DRs are not available anywhere else in the world :(, even Balanced Audio Technology sells Sovtek ones.

6H30P-DR against 6H30Pi

hello TG,

Jean Cristophe Morrison, the in-house tube wizard
at New Sensor has tested the Saratov against the
Sovtek. He told me that they are axactly the same.
From my own tests I agree with him.
In some application the Sovtek is better because of lower microphony.
BAT uses the original russian 6H30P-DR and not the Sovteks to realize a higher price.

The 6H30P-Dr is also available from gstubes.com

Have buyed a bigger stock in 2000 for around 7$ a
piece.

Reinhard

Re: 6H30P-DR against 6H30Pi

Hello reinhard

reinhard said:

Jean Cristophe Morrison, the in-house tube wizard
at New Sensor has tested the Saratov against the
Sovtek. He told me that they are axactly the same.
From my own tests I agree with him.
Could you please make some pictures of Saratovs you've tested?
My 1981's are quite different from Sovtek... :scratch:

In some application the Sovtek is better because of lower microphony.
Yes, comparing with new Saratov

BAT uses the original russian 6H30P-DR and not the Sovteks to realize a higher price.
Unfortunately, BAT claims to use original tubes (they was original in first VK50s, but not anymore) :(

The 6H30P-Dr is also available from gstubes.com
Have buyed a bigger stock in 2000 for around 7$ a piece.
Good price :)
Actually they cost $1.5-1.7 in exSoviet :)

Good Luck!!!

What about THIS?!?

Why are you wasting your time on insisting to use a by-product?
I agree that the older versions of 6N 30 are far better than the new production (it's inavoidable,even the Russian plants had to make some mods resulting in poorer quality,for surviving,of course!),but very I'm surprised no one mentioned THE REAL THING here.
It's the Russian (Saratov-made) 6N6Pi.(at least our Ukrainian friend must know about it!)
Well,it's not the EXACT equivalent for a 6N30,but the electrical specs are close,sometimes even better than the 6N30.
The 6N6Pi could be considered as the ancestor of 6N30,but I emphasise that this tube showed a far superiority in every aspect.
I tried both in every possible situation,and I have no doubts.
...So what if 6N6Pi isn't the exact replacement for the 6N30?
You never landed on some 5751 wich was way better than any other "butique" ECC 83?
With the price of a little tweaking and testing,you could be on top of the hill!
Regards,;)

fdegrove,
I didn't mean AT ALL on the gain differences between the 6N6Pi and 6N30,when I made the ECC 83 and 5751 comparison!
You took me totally wrong,and I appologise for not being precise enough....
It's the overall (sounding) character I speak about!
The fact that 6N6Pi has a slightly higher gain than the 6N30 MEANS NOTHING TO ME,as I learned from countless electrical and listening tests.
Usually I hate to do this,but now I must quote Sakuma,who,once,said that taking for granted the datasheet's specs is like reading a girls' telephone number from the telephone book:you know her number,but you haven't a clue what she's look like!
As long as the two Russian tubes belong to the same category (aka low-mu,high-curent,low rp),I wouldn't bother for anything (except of,naturally,a different pin arangement.....).
Maybe it sounds strange (techies will yell at this!),but if I hear a better sounding tube,I always try to "tune up" the gain somewhere else in the chain.Why sacrifice a good-sounding tube quoting the specs,since the damn 5-8 diference in mu isn't,after all,a big deal....:idea:

Wow :)

*Le Basseur
Of course, I know about 6N6P... I've used it throughout for about 10 years :)
I must agree, that's a great tube.
The only problem with it - often the halves are matched far from perfect (up to 40% difference), so they should be carefully selected from stock.
And it is made not only by Saratov but virtually any plant in exSoviet.

*fdegrove
I'd say, 6N30 is a lower Rp and higher gm version of 6N6 :)
6N30 has mu=15, Rp=1200 Ohm
6N6 has mu=20, Rp=1800 Ohm
For 6N6 I recommend Ra=10..12 kOhm, Ia0=18..25 mA - and you will have the gain of about 15.

PS. 6N6P IMHO is the best tube in the world :) to drive 2A3-like triodes... Also works great with transformer load...

I'm using 6N6Ps to drive 6C4C in fully PP IT. I've replaced the 6C45pi that I was using and...I like the 6N6Ps very much! They are more relaxed than the 6C45pi. In retrospect the 6c45 are a little hifi. Finally judgement in a week or so when I swop back and see what I think then!

I'm at operating point (from memory) of 11k Ra-a (pp) and 28mA at 175V.

I haven't got any 6H30 to compare with - I have ECC99 and prefer the 6N6ps and 6C45pi...

ciao

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.