• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

KT88 Electro-Harmonix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been thinking of KT88's for my first amp build and noticed these budget KT88's on Jim McShane's tube inventory list. Does anyone have any experience with the Electro-Harmonix KT88's? Jim wrote the following on his site:

KT-88 Electro-Harmonix . This tube has 95% of the performance of the very best KT-88s at 1/2 the price! Very tight bass (I wish there was a tad more of it though), beautiful mids and highs - and a tough, reliable tube too. Only $59.50/pair, $114.50/quad. Note! If you want to use these in a Harman-Kardon Citation II amp you must reduce the bias current to 83-85 ma. or so to stay within the tubes' dissipation limits.

They do nothing for me in triode though - the Ei KT-90s in triode still KILL anything else in triode. I recommend using the EH in the stock (ultralinear) configuration only.

Thanks

Ty_Bower said:
These are for the Simple SE you are building, correct?

Correct. I'll look at keeping a cheap set of 6L6GC's on hand for testing, definitely a good idea. The person you referred to doesn't have any listed at the moment but these are common tubes on eBay. I'm ordering all my parts for this build on Monday so I will keep my eyes open on eBay this weekend. Thanks, as always, Ty.

N1ESE said:

Correct. I'll look at keeping a cheap set of 6L6GC's on hand for testing, definitely a good idea. The person you referred to doesn't have any listed at the moment but these are common tubes on eBay. I'm ordering all my parts for this build on Monday so I will keep my eyes open on eBay this weekend. Thanks, as always, Ty.

Let me know if you need some 12AT7s for testing as well. I bought a bunch of used/tested tubes on Ebay and could loan you a few.

This is a great experimenter amp. You can try ultralinear/triode and a whole bunch of different tubes. I think a great idea is to have switcheable cathode resistance to best suit different output tubes. See this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1526165#post1526165

If you want cheap 6L6 type, I have tried these with success http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-5881-6L6GC...wItem?hash=item200268405538&_trkparms=72:1209|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

These 6P3S-E version appear to have better plate dissipation than the cheaper 6P3S. I have tried JJ E34L, winged =C= EL34, 6P3S, 6P3S-E, JJ KT88 in this amp and with my setup (smaller edcor transformers XSE 15-8-5K and active crossover at 80Hz and subs) the JJ E34Ls are what keep getting put back in. More clarity and detail than the KT88s. The KT88s had less mid range clarity and were a little muddy/boomy in the bass. Mind you, my crossover and subs may have contributed to the sound, and if you have larger output transformers and main speakers capable of lower freqs than mine, the KT88s may be a better setup.

BTW, have tried Mullard, JAN(GE), and JJ ECC81, and really cannot tell much difference. The JJ works well and is cheap!

Whatever you do, you will enjoy the amp!

Cheers,

Chris

I've been thinking of KT88's for my first amp build and noticed these budget KT88's on Jim McShane's tube inventory list.

I have a Simple SE that uses EH KT88's. These tubes give up a little bit of detail in exchange for power and bass that is uncharacteristic of an SE amp. When played through my 96db home made speakers that have 15 inch woofers the bass can be heard inside the house across the street. I got 6 of these tubes used for $10 each. I put one pair in this amp when I made it, and they have never been removed. I often run them hot (100 mA) and they don't seem to mind.

The cheap Chinese 6L6GC is a good tube to experiment with but it is not the best sounding tube. I have three Simple SE's. This one has the EH KT88's, it is the amp to use when I want to get loud or play rock music. Number two gets used for more mellow stuff like Norah or Sade. It uses JJ EL34's. The third amp has 6V6's and the cheap Edcor OPT's most of the time but it is the amp that I use for experiments so it is dead a lot too. I have blown it up at least a dozen times. The little Edcors really do sound good when you don't ask them to handle more than 1 or 2 watts. Above that level some saturation distortion becomes evident on strong low frequency material.

Attachments

• glowingamp3_b.jpg
    glowingamp3_b.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 814
I'm running EH KT88 and I highly recommend them, although I have heard that the Tung-Sol 6550 reproductions have even better bass and more detail from another Simple SE builder (costing slightly more) and I may try them sometime. If I am not mistaken, Jim really likes the Genelex KT88 reproduction, though they are also slightly more expensive.

tubelab.com said:

I have a Simple SE that uses EH KT88's. These tubes give up a little bit of detail in exchange for power and bass that is uncharacteristic of an SE amp. When played through my 96db home made speakers that have 15 inch woofers the bass can be heard inside the house across the street. I got 6 of these tubes used for $10 each. I put one pair in this amp when I made it, and they have never been removed. I often run them hot (100 mA) and they don't seem to mind.

This is a very interesting post to me!

The KT-88 EH mid & upper bass is superb - the lowest octave is just a bit lacking in quantity (not quality). It would appear that the SE design which often is somewhat limited in the lowest bass anyway (no insult to Tubelab or his designs intended!) may make this a moot point in evaluating the EH. Based on my experience coupled with Tubelab's, it sounds like the EH is ideal for that application.

The 100 ma. is no problem at all as long as dissipation is under 40 watts max (a bit less would help the tube live longer).

The Genalex KT-88 is wonderful, but they are twice the price of the EH. So you have to think hard why you wouldn't use the EH. I love high value per dollar tubes, and the EH KT-88 is clearly one of them. You get a hell of a lot of performance for your hard earned money.

Jim, thanks for adding your input to this thread.

Tyson, and others.. regarding cheap 6L6GC's mentioned in this thread. I noticed AES has matched pairs of Chinese 6L6GC's for $18.40. I haven't seen any other deals much better than this (unless one wants quads or more quantity). Not a bad price for smoke testing new Simple SE circuits.

Buy them off eBay from the guy I linked above. They come out cheaper than the AES price.

Speaking of "good for smoke testing", I just used a quad in a Dynaco Mk3 restoration project for the initial test. The poor things suffer a bit under 560+ volts on the plate, don't they? :devilr:

I've been using the EH KT-88s now in both my Mac MC-75s and the Citation II. These are very nice tubes, IMHO. Stable and solid in either amp. Purchased from Jim McShane, I'd recommend them anytime - especially if you're planning to 'play around' with them in a DIY amp.

I also have a couple of sets of the EI KT-90 Series II that are held in such high esteem. They're nice but, frankly, the EHs aren't that far back although I can understand why Jim draws the distinction he does with them.

I use the EH KT88s these days so I don't run the EI KT90s all the time.

Cheers,

David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.