• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Quicksilver 8417 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey all,

I have just acquired a Quickie 8417 with 6550/5AR4/12AX7/12BH7 setup.

I took a peak inside and found the coupling caps have been changed out to .22uF 1000V, two electrolytic caps added to the Bias pot (seems to be on front side, not on back, and original 60uf 160 is still on back end of pot by diode), and the diode mod on the rectifiers seem to be the only mods done on the amp. All else looks stock.

Question is this. If 6550 bias is stable at 100 or 110ma, are the other mods required?

I was under the understanding that a lot of the mods were devised to keep the amp stable with other tubes....

Any other mods "Must Do"?

I have just purchased four .22uf 600V Russian FT3 after hearing a lot of good buzz about them...but going to be a little tight in the chassis...not quite sure I will put them in...

Also, could a 6L6GC be subbed in for the 6550 (I have a few of them laying around)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.