Lundahl 4-30 Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2008, 01:57 AM   #1
83stang is offline 83stang  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Lundahl 4-30 Build

I've decided to ditch the dynaco and eico design. Has anybody built the Lundahl 4-30 amplifier? how is it? and can I use the Antek AN-4T360 for the stereo power supply and an Hammond 1645 for the output transformer? How would I go about getting the bias voltage? Thanks again for all your help.
Old 24th October 2008, 08:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I built the 4-30 two years ago. Very happy with it. I did use other trannies but I then had to modify the circuit to make the amp stable. It occilliated, and we had to lower the value of the coupling caps.
Old 24th October 2008, 02:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Lundahl 4-30 Build

Quote:
Originally posted by 83stang
I've decided to ditch the dynaco and eico design. Has anybody built the Lundahl 4-30 amplifier? how is it? and can I use the Antek AN-4T360 for the stereo power supply and an Hammond 1645 for the output transformer? How would I go about getting the bias voltage? Thanks again for all your help.

Dude,

The 4-30 uses Mullard style circuitry. With all respect to Claus Byrith, the use of high RP/low gm small types is (IMO) ill advised. Two very important considerations in amps with loop NFB, like the Mullard style, are slew limiting and O/P trafo core saturation. High gm small signal types provide resistance to slew limiting. My previous recommendation of 12BH7 and 12AT7 small signal types stands. The overall gain structure of the 2 selections is very similar. An added benefit of the 12AT7's presence is a superior net harmonic distortion spectrum. By all means, use CB's "fixed" bias PP O/P stage, with complete confidence.

You will have little trouble in using the AN-4T360 power trafo. Connect the 2X 360 VAC windings in parallel. Bridge rectify with snubbed UF5408s on the ground side and 600 PIV Schottky diodes on the B+ side. Install a CL150 inrush current limiting thermistor in the line between the rectifier bridge and the PSU filter. CLC filter the B+. Start with 1.5 μF. in the 1st position and adjust that value, with the PSU loaded down, to bring the B+ rail in at 440 V. No less than 5 H. are required in the choke. Pile the energy storage up in 2nd position. As the AN-4T360's filament windings are lightly loaded (no vacuum rectifiers), use 1/2 of 2X 12BH7s in each channel. Wire 1 channel to use system #1 and the 2nd channel to use system # 2. When the tubes wear out, flip/flop them.

IMO, the Hammond 1645 O/P trafo is a very poor choice. Its end to end impedance is somewhat high for this application and its power handling capability is woefully inadequate. O/P core trafo saturation is dealt with by rolling low freq. info. off at the amp's I/P. To keep the NFB error correction signal from saturating the core of a 1645, the I/P high pass "corner" freq. will be high enough to foul the music up, very badly. Sorry, TANSTAAFL.

Greinacher ("full wave") voltage double a "Rat Shack" catalog # 273-1366 to derive the EL34 bias voltage.

Pay CLOSE attention to the remark about oscillation. Notice the 560 pF. cap. in parallel with the NFB resistor. That's a phase compensation part. Its value is tied to the character of the O/P "iron" used. The proper value is determined with an o'scope and a 10 KHz. square wave. I suggest a brute force method for phase compensation. Use inductive wirewound resistors as phase splitter plate loads. That peaks HF gain. Short the NFB loop out above 80 KHz. by connecting a cap. between the "hot' speaker lead and ground. This method relies on the natural HF rolloff of the O/P trafo and an o'scope is not needed.
Old 24th October 2008, 04:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help, if the 1645 is a poor choice, then what can you suggest that would work better? preferably Hammond. Can you post a schematic of the 12bh7 and 12at7 preamp? I can take the bias voltage by putting the filaments in series and voltage double it right? thanks for the help, I really appreciate it
Old 24th October 2008, 04:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Edcors look really attractive, I might go with a pair of these CXPP60-8-4.2K, they seem to be a good option at a very fair price. It's shipping here and the exchange that'll kill me, but I'll try to get some numbers, they'll probably be way cheaper then hammonds.
Old 25th October 2008, 01:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can you post a schematic of the 12bh7 and 12at7 preamp?
With a few changes in value, CB's 4-30 schematic is what you will use. Some minor alterations, such as CCS loading the LTP's tail, will be made.

Quote:
I can take the bias voltage by putting the filaments in series and voltage double it right?
If you wire the 2X 6.3 VAC windings in series, a quadrupler, not a doubler, is needed. In addition have the bias supply and the heaters connected to the same source of AC is questionable. Buy the R/S trafo previously mentioned. It costs less than 7 USD. Dedicate a 6.3 VAC winding to the heaters in a single channel.

Hide this!Advertise here!