Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2008, 05:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
Default DHT's, fixed bias, sharred filament supply

If running a stereo single ended amp with fixed bias, is it really a problem to have the filament supply shared? I could maybe see an issue when it comes to hum pots, but other than that, is it really an issue?
-Paul
Old 22nd October 2008, 07:10 AM   #2
kmaier is offline kmaier  United States
diyAudio Member

Depends on how you share it. I've seen some budget setups where a single AC filament supply was used for a pair of outputs with a common self-bias resistor and bypass cap via the center-tap. Granted it works, but wherever the hum levels wind up, there you are... no ability to adjust.

I would suggest using a DC supply as AC filaments will still yield some hum with fixed bias. In particular which DHT are you planning on using? I have found that NOS 45 in ST glass tend to balance well (using a padded hum pot) with AC, better than most 2A3 (dual-paralleled triodes) DHTs. A single plate 2A3 is a nightmare with AC filament, pretty much the same for a 300B due to the center-tapped filament setup.

Regards, KM
Old 22nd October 2008, 08:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I did it using a single voltage supply and a separate CCS for each filament.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.ecp.cc/less-pressivo-plus-plus.html

Hide this!Advertise here!