• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

NOS vs. Chinese Plate Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've noticed lately that the new Chinese plate caps ubiquitously available tend to be vastly inferior to the NOS caps from suppliers like Millen and National. The Chinese caps get loose and floppy after a couple of on/offs, and the contacts tend to fall out and get lost. Not so with the NOS caps. Are there any examples to the contrary? I've retrofitted the plate caps of several of my amps due to these issues. If there is a quality supplier of new plate caps, I'd like to know about them.

I've used two different Chinese types. One is OK, but not nearly as good as NOS. The other is terrible, no spring to them at all, and as you say are only good for a couple of uses.

FWIW, the good ones I got came from Surplus Sales (www.surplussales.com). I was hoping they were NOS but are definitely current production. The bad ones came from Antique Electronics.

Just guessing, but maybe the places that cater to hams have better ones? Maybe try RF parts (www.rfparts.com)?

NOS caps are getting very hard to find. I only have one source (and no, I'm not telling ;) )

I have also seen new production teflon plate caps in Japan, but cannot find much online. I think only in the small size. They are expensive (~$20 each).

Pete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.