Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2008, 10:06 PM   #1
sarrisk is offline sarrisk  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
sarrisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Default 6922 tube buffer

hi all,
I m thinking to build this ( see the schematic ) tube buffer using the 6922 tube as a mid stage between MP3 player (ipod) and my tube pre amp . I know this little tube that sounds pretty sweet, but never used it as a buffer. This schematic is the first draft. Has anyone used this tube in a single buffer stage ? any ideas ?

cheers
costas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tube-buffer-1.jpg (26.5 KB, 804 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 10:12 PM   #2
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
chrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Sydney
I am not that smart when it comes to these things, but I am thinking: what are you trying to achieve? Your iPod will probably drive your amp directly with no buffer and no pre amp. Are you trying to change the sound of the iPod?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 10:32 PM   #3
sarrisk is offline sarrisk  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
sarrisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by chrish
I am not that smart when it comes to these things, but I am thinking: what are you trying to achieve? Your iPod will probably drive your amp directly with no buffer and no pre amp. Are you trying to change the sound of the iPod?

No its not a matter of changing the sound. Actually i need a little bit of amplification , something like a pre - pre amp for gaining up a little the MP3 player output .

costas
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2008, 10:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by sarrisk
No its not a matter of changing the sound. Actually i need a little bit of amplification , something like a pre - pre amp for gaining up a little the MP3 player output .
Then a tube buffer is a bad way to go because the gain is always less than one.

How much gain do you need? That will determine tube type and topology.

But IMO, you can't go wrong with a 6922 mu-follower, you'll have gain and low output impedance.

Cheers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 12:07 AM   #5
sarrisk is offline sarrisk  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
sarrisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
Hi,



Then a tube buffer is a bad way to go because the gain is always less than one.

How much gain do you need? That will determine tube type and topology.

But IMO, you can't go wrong with a 6922 mu-follower, you'll have gain and low output impedance.

Cheers!
So thats a good point.
As I know, the output of the ipod is about 0.9 V @ 1 Mohm. ( from the headphones jack is about 0.25 V @ 33ohms ) So for a gain of 9-10 db i need a gain about 2.8 Volts from my amp. Thats my first idea.


costas
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 12:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
A 6922 in mu follower will have a gain of 25 to 28 in my tests. as low as 17 with some bargain brands. You can use an input attenuator or volume control with a preset.

If you have 'em, 12B4's will do the job with a gain of 4-5.

Neat thing about the 6DJ8-class tubes is they are made for totempoles, one Vh-k is 50V for the bottom triode and the other unit Vh-k is 150V.

Cheers!
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 12:46 AM   #7
sarrisk is offline sarrisk  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
sarrisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
You can use an input attenuator or volume control with a preset.

If you have 'em, 12B4's will do the job with a gain of 4-5.

Neat thing about the 6DJ8-class tubes is they are made for totempoles, one Vh-k is 50V for the bottom triode and the other unit Vh-k is 150V.

Cheers!

hmm.. thats sounds interesting ... it will be under consideration ! thanks for the advise and for your reply !

regards
costas
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6N1P for buffer instead of 6DJ8, 6922 JojoD818 Tubes / Valves 39 28th April 2010 12:17 AM
Please help identify this tube - Shuguang 6922? gaplessophile Tubes / Valves 11 24th June 2009 07:59 AM
Single supply 6922 buffer with 2SK CCS Will Tubes / Valves 29 16th January 2009 06:32 PM
6DJ8 / 6922 tube? nordhaven Tubes / Valves 25 27th April 2008 08:07 PM
Tube Buffer for CD-PRO2M (6922) Rarkov Tubes / Valves 22 4th March 2005 06:37 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2