New Build Power Up Advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2008, 04:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New Build Power Up Advice

I'll be getting my OPT's for my Darling delivered in a couple of weeks and was wondering if ya'll could give some advice for the initial power up of my first DIY amp with HV? I have done some searching and found hints here and there, but nothing definitive. and in one spot.

Here is my line of thinking: Please correct me or make suggestions....

...Check, recheck, and check again wiring scheme......

1. No tubes inserted. Check that PT and filament trafo are not getting hot when mains power is supplied.
2. Insert all tubes except rectifier. Check filament voltages.
3. Make sure bleeder resistors (100K/2W) are installed across the 3 motor run caps in PS (or is one good enough?)
4. Insert rectifier (5Y3GT). Add 100W lightbulb in the hot leg of the mains before Power trafo.
5. Hook up a meter from B+ of each leg, right before OPT's, to ground to check B+ voltage after power up.
6. Insert some 8R/100W resistors across speaker outputs, or use some of my cheapo speakers as a load.
7. Insert shorted RCA plugs into RCA input jacks. NO SIGNAL.
8. Switch on amp from power strip and watch lightbulb. If it doesn't dim instantly shut off power.
If it dims, check meters quickly to see where B+ is. Don't let run more than 30 sec or so.
9. Power down. Smell for anything burning or burnt if it hasn't happened already.
10. Check cap voltages to see if they drained and visually inspect for anything burnt after checking that voltages are safe.
11. If all OK, hook DMM across cathode resistors,power back on and check bias voltages. If OK let run for 5-10 minutes and keep an eye on the plates, bias voltages, and B+ voltage.
12. Power down, make sure PS caps dare drained, and visually inspect again.
13 . If still OK, hook up mini CDP and see if the dang thing makes sounds that don't sound like crap.

14. Wish you had a Variac for this kinda stuff. Reminder to self--find one.
Old 20th October 2008, 02:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

ttt
Old 20th October 2008, 04:36 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Sounds reasonable, a little more involved than I generally do.. You need to wait for the tubes to warm up. Initially the lamp will be very bright as the filaments are cold, as they warm up the lamp will dim, and then as it starts to draw plate current the lamp will brighten significantly - at this point measure your B+.. You will probably find it is rather low, but if present everywhere and no burning smells are evident you are probably ready to apply full supply voltage.
Old 21st October 2008, 12:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice, Kevin.

Shane
Old 21st October 2008, 12:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
My usual scheme is:
1. Wire primary power, check.
2. Wire voltage rectifiers, regulators.
3. Made preamp stages, tune them.
4. Connect one output stage, fine tune one channel.
5. Connect another channel output stage, fine tune it.
6. Connect speakers instead of dummy loads, listen and enjoy.
Old 21st October 2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

For my first power-on I generally connect the power to an extension cord plugged into a switchable outlet across the room and turn on the power from there.

Hide this!Advertise here!